Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   No sex in the champagne room! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/no-sex-champagne-room-32708/)

TurboMax 11-23-2009 05:02 PM

No sex in the champagne room!

Hello everybody.

I have a 50 gallon freshwater aquarium that's been going for about a year and a half. Most of the fish in the aquarium were given to me by the old aquarium owner (that was part of the deal :). With the fish she gave me, 4 of them were platies. I started with 4 of them and within about a year they multiplied to about 50! I finally had to give them away as I could see I was running into a real problem. So now I have some space and I am looking to stock some more fish. I have some potential fish in mind, but I want to make sure they won't breed like crazy! Can you guys tell me if these species will keep the hanky panky to a minimum?

• danios
  • silver dollar gouramis
  • any other gouramis for that matter
  • rasboras
Thanks!

NC Frank 11-23-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboMax (Post 278797)
Hello everybody.

I have a 50 gallon freshwater aquarium that's been going for about a year and a half. Most of the fish in the aquarium were given to me by the old aquarium owner (that was part of the deal :). With the fish she gave me, 4 of them were platies. I started with 4 of them and within about a year they multiplied to about 50! I finally had to give them away as I could see I was running into a real problem. So now I have some space and I am looking to stock some more fish. I have some potential fish in mind, but I want to make sure they won't breed like crazy! Can you guys tell me if these species will keep the hanky panky to a minimum?

• danios
  • silver dollar gouramis
  • any other gouramis for that matter
  • rasboras
Thanks!

You will be fine with any of the fish listed (do you mean silver dollars or gouramis?). Most non live bearers will not spawn like rabbits like live bearers.

Mikaila31 11-23-2009 08:37 PM

Gouramis will do a good job at taking care of any fry. Just watch how many you get as they can be territorial. IMO stick with 1 or a group of around 4 so aggression is evened out. Be careful around dwarf gouramis, they have a tendency to die for odd reasons, like no reason at all.

TurboMax 11-24-2009 07:35 AM

OK thanks for the responses! I was getting worried because I read that the danios are quite easy to breed. I definitely plan on getting at least 2 gouramis of some sort, so hopefully they like to eat the eggs!

Kelso 11-25-2009 01:44 AM

In my personal experience, gouramis can be nasty fish...both attitude wise and cleanliness wise.