Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Disturbing: New fish AWOL?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  fish999 
#1 ·
:-? I'm very concerned here! As you know I started stocking yesterday, so when the lights turned on this AM I checked every tank, make sure all are happy....Well in the 45g there was FIVE rummy's put in yesterday, now I only see FOUR... I see now dead one no where, no fish wedged in anywhere and there's no caves or anything alike no 5 could hide in, also couldn't have jumped out as the tank has lids....

They all seemed to be doing fine before I went to bed....if one would have died over the stress, would the Rummy's have ate him at night???

Where did my fish go?????:shock:

#3 ·
I checked EVERYWHERE under the limbs of the DW's behind & under the pump and I mean the tanks being new its not like its so overcrowded with plants that I can't see to the end.... I REALLY don't know where no 5 went...if they'd have ate him for snack last night there'd be at least some left overs wouldn't there.
I just never had a fish simply VANISH on me, like he packed up & moved out last night....

#4 ·
:BIGweepy: nooooo I just moved everything around, evidently he'd wedged himself behind the pump thou I hadn't seem him there before and came out when I moved everything, which I don't get cause the gab between pump-glass is easily wide enough for him to get in & out.

No he's tangling around the tank, his nose is still colored but I have a BAD BAD feeling about this one fish now, I don't think he'll make it :cry::cry::cry:

#5 ·
rummys are very sensitive to water parameters shifts, more than most tetras.........keep a very close eye on your parameters for the first 2 months and do more frequent water changes for these guys.......They are usually the first to show signs of deteriorating water conditions.......Good Luck!

#6 ·
All others look exceptionally fine. I mean this was part of the reason I bought them at the store right here cause they have the same water then me at home. Before I found Mr AWOL I checked all Ammonia, NO2, 3 nothing check's out all is 0.
Why would he wedge himself back there in a way that obviously hurt him??? I doubt he's gonna make it :-(

#7 ·
It's weird what fish will do. When I started my tank I went out and got what I believed to be 5 long-fin blue danios. I'd read that danios were great fish to start the cycle as they were hardy fish. It turned out that what I got were 2 of the danios and 3 white clouds. The danios didn't survive 3 days in there and both got caught in the filter tube which essentially tells me that they weren't healthy enough to swim away from it in the first place... ??? I never solved that mystery. The 2 white clouds are still in the tank as healthy as ever! Go figure...

#8 ·
:BIGweepy:
He didn't make it. While I know and understand this can happen having fish, I'm honestly upset because this is not the 'new start' I was hoping to have....

#10 ·
Thank you Malano

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.