Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Would a 3 gallon tank work for a QT? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/would-3-gallon-tank-work-qt-326866/)

stm557 01-04-2014 01:07 PM

Would a 3 gallon tank work for a QT?

Hi,

I'm planning on purchasing 6 pygmy cories in a few weeks to put into a 10g with my betta. Before I add them in though, I want to make sure that they're healthy, so I was thinking of using my bettas old 3g as a QT. It would have a heater, sponge filter, but no substrate since I only plan on using it as a QT when necessary.

I can add in a few hiding spots/ornaments such as some old silk plants, a ceramic bridge, my Spongebob pineapple house, etc. Would that be a good idea? At least those can be easily washed and might give them a little bit more to interact than an empty tank.

Also, how long should they be quarantined for before transferring to the new tank? What should I be looking out for in terms of health? I've never had cories before, so I really appreciate the info!

djembekah 01-04-2014 08:08 PM

I'd say put the betta in the 3 gallon and the cories in the ten.

djembekah 01-04-2014 08:16 PM

Now that I'm thinking more let me elaborate. Cories are super sensitive to ammonia, and that level might get to high in the 3 gallon, and the cories will probably get stressed out with that and the excessive water changes might be detrimental to health.

Another thing to wait on is until your tank has been cycled about four months. New tanks can have spikes and also stress the sensitive cories out.

stm557 01-05-2014 11:46 AM

I was probably a little unclear. The 3 gallon tank would just be a quarantine tank for 2 weeks while I check new fish for any parasites/diseases. It would be a temporary home, then the cories and betta would be together in the 10 gal.

SeaHorse 01-05-2014 05:19 PM

I agree with Bekah... keep them separate and put the Betta in the 3G and the Cory in the 10. They are bottom dwellers and only have the square footage of the ground surface of the tank... not the whole tank to swim around in like the Betta. So the Cory should get the bigger space until you eventually put them together.

djembekah 01-05-2014 06:04 PM

I also believe in times of stress (someone correct me if I'm wrong) cories produce even more ammonia. So the ten is just a better idea so its not all concentrated.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thoth 01-10-2014 10:53 PM

I have never heard of them increasing ammonia. I have witnessed the results of Cory self poising but not the actual "spraying". Here is an article that talks about an unknown toxin they release. You can see it being released in the picture at the bottom.

Self-poisoning Corys

SeaHorse 01-11-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 3718505)
I have never heard of them increasing ammonia. I have witnessed the results of Cory self poising but not the actual "spraying". Here is an article that talks about an unknown toxin they release. You can see it being released in the picture at the bottom.

Self-poisoning Corys

Thoth, what an interesting article. I read it! I think that explains a lot of lost Cory/s... no? I have seen countless threads, "My Cory is laying on the bottom on it's side, what do I do?"

Thank you for sharing that. Is it possible that the majority of people just believe that it is Ammonia then? Not knowing this goes on? Does it read on test result as Ammonia? That sounds ridiculous but is it similar or do the chemicals in the testing react the same and report a high ammonia. That doesn't make sense even as I type it, lol, so a tank would have to have ammonia in it as well as the poisoning to read ammonia.

Ummm who's on 2nd?