Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   wet/dry help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/wet-dry-help-32670/)

jjtf00 11-22-2009 05:25 PM

wet/dry help

right now i have a 29 gallon fowlr tank. i have about 4 inches of live sand and about 25 pounds of live rock. other filtration i have a top fin 30 hang on filter and an aqua clear 30 power head. i have one damsel right now. in the next week ill be getting more live stock. does any one have any suggestions for a small wet/dry?

bearwithfish 11-22-2009 05:38 PM

go to Google vids and check them out another option there would include DIY wet/dry.... they have tons and wow simple to complex

bearwithfish 11-22-2009 05:38 PM

also forgot there are a bunch here search posts at the top of the page

jjtf00 11-22-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearwithfish (Post 278378)
also forgot there are a bunch here search posts at the top of the page

i would kind of want to just buy one and not build one. what size would be good for a 29 gallon tank?

rsheets 11-22-2009 11:19 PM

I have an aqua pro. I really like it.

Pasfur 11-23-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjtf00 (Post 278371)
right now i have a 29 gallon fowlr tank. i have about 4 inches of live sand and about 25 pounds of live rock. other filtration i have a top fin 30 hang on filter and an aqua clear 30 power head. i have one damsel right now. in the next week ill be getting more live stock. does any one have any suggestions for a small wet/dry?

A wet dry filter will not help to improve water quality on this setup. In fact, the addition of a wet dry will only cause nitrates to increase, phosphates to increase, and calcium / alkalinity levels to deplete. Your live rock and sand are much more efficient at processing waste, and will do so without the complications of nitrate buildup.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/m...shwater-31955/

rsheets 11-23-2009 07:21 PM

Very simple to keep nitrates down with a w/d filter. Just wash the bioballs in a bucket of aquarium water by agitating them, Then just put them back. You get rid of the junk while keeping the good bacteria. Once a year should be sufficiant for this. (From the local aquarium maint. guy.)

Pasfur 11-23-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsheets (Post 278924)
Very simple to keep nitrates down with a w/d filter. Just wash the bioballs in a bucket of aquarium water by agitating them, Then just put them back. You get rid of the junk while keeping the good bacteria. Once a year should be sufficiant for this. (From the local aquarium maint. guy.)

Sorry, I have to dismiss this comment as nothing short of wrong. This is simply an incorrect statement. Bioballs harvest nitrifying bacteria, which convert ammonia to nitrite, and nitrite to nitrate.

Not much else to say.

rsheets 11-23-2009 07:45 PM

Pasfur - very good information about filtration on SW systems. I never knew that.

rsheets 11-23-2009 08:04 PM

As far as I understand, from reading your information about filters, as well as what I already know about freshwater systems. A water change is the only way to get rid of nitrates. The bioballs will hold "Junk" and will cause the nitrates to go up, causing a problem just like gravel that holds "junk" until cleaned (or any other type of filter). The end result of any type of filtration will result in higher and higher nitrate levels until the water change.
I'm sure you know more about this stuff than I do, but am I right so far?
I think Clean bioballs will produce nitrates the same as any other type of filter. What do you think? I'm interested in more ideas about this. If my statement was wrong I'm sorry. I was taught that by a pretty knowledgable guy at one of the local high end fish stores. I have a w/d filter w/bioballs. I felt that was the best kind of filtration that I could buy.