Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   gravel question..... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/gravel-question-32657/)

bearwithfish 11-22-2009 12:43 PM

gravel question.....

hey there every one.... well the platy tank is being a pain in the butt so we are housing every one in a ten gallon and redoing the whole thing :evil: !!!!!!!!! we went fromthis really big gravel (average of 1/2 inch) to a really fine gravel... we are going to jump start the tank bacteria with some filter material and gravel from my guppy tank... the question is in the future with another tank could we put the huge gravel down and then fill over it with the fine stuff for depth, ease of cleaning, a chance to plant, and of course a pretty look? i know restarting a tnk has many risks but the main question is for a futer project..... thanx all....:frustrated::frustrated::hmm:

Byron 11-22-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearwithfish (Post 278217)
hey there every one.... well the platy tank is being a pain in the butt so we are housing every one in a ten gallon and redoing the whole thing :evil: !!!!!!!!! we went fromthis really big gravel (average of 1/2 inch) to a really fine gravel... we are going to jump start the tank bacteria with some filter material and gravel from my guppy tank... the question is in the future with another tank could we put the huge gravel down and then fill over it with the fine stuff for depth, ease of cleaning, a chance to plant, and of course a pretty look? i know restarting a tnk has many risks but the main question is for a futer project..... thanx all....:frustrated::frustrated::hmm:

The problem with mixing various sizes of gravel is that it does just that--mixes together. And the finer grain will end up on the bottom. The same happens if you mix sand with gravel.

Byron.

aunt kymmie 11-22-2009 01:31 PM

Otherwise known as the "Brazil Nut Effect". Get a bowl of mixed nuts and the crummy tasting Brazil nuts are always riding on the top, the yummy almonds always on the very bottom...LOL.

bearwithfish 11-22-2009 01:43 PM

LOL thats what we were afraid of thanx

fish999 11-23-2009 09:03 PM

That's why I seem to always end up choosing 1/8 - 1/4 gravel. Pure 1/8 would be pretty good for all situations maybe?

bearwithfish 11-24-2009 07:06 AM

yeah i think the finer the better... now!!!!!.. i had this crazy idea if having teh big boulder look in the tank and thought it was cool for a week or two but now that i changed over to the really fine gravel it looks wonderful and i really think i will use it almost exclusively in any new set ups or when i go to redo any of the existing tanks... i will be making a new post this week with pix of the fine stuff in my platy tank for every one to see.....

Angel079 11-24-2009 08:25 AM

I hear you about the fine gravel look :-) Any of my tanks get set up with either fine gravel or sand and then which ever I choose dark colors (brown or black) and I'm just loving it over & over each tank, I think it looks real good.

Just use the big one for yard or plant decoration in the spring :-)