Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Rupturing blisters (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/rupturing-blisters-32562/)

Julie's Julies 11-20-2009 01:13 PM

Rupturing blisters

Hi everyone!

My mother-in-law has a sick, golden veil angelfish in a 130G community tank (other inhabitants are 3 more angels, 3 gouramis, 3 loaches, 2 bala sharks, 6 rasboras, and a few others I can't remember). The tank has been established for about 6 months and has 2 canister filters (Ehiem and another brand). The temperature is at 80F. Both the ammonia and nitrite are at 0ppm; unfortunately, I don't have the specifics for the nitrate. All inhabitants, with the exception of this angel, seem healthy and happy.

This sick angel has the appearance of blisters on him that, after a few days, rupture and leave a hole behind. He has them all over his body, and they initially broke out on his fins and then moved onto his body and head. Other than this odd phenomenon, he is eating well, swimming just fine, and interacting with the other tank mates. He willl be a year old in February (I raised him from an egg after my two angels spawned unexpectedly in my community tank).

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of him, and I know that diagnosis is much more difficult without an image. Can anyone give us an idea of what this may be and how contageous it is? He's her favorite fish, but she doesn't want to contaminate her community and wants to remove him if it is necessary for the well-being of the remaining fish.

Sorry this is so vague, but just thought I'd try to help her out. Online, she found a description of fish pox that seemed to be the closest to what her fish has, but she wasn't sure. It sounded like hole-in-the-head disease to me, except that this is not confined to his head and did not originate there.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

willow 11-20-2009 01:36 PM

hi
nice to see you.
i hope someone will be along soon to help,i did wonder about the pox thing too,
however i wouldn't really know the first thing.

cerianthus 11-20-2009 09:45 PM

Probably not a HITH. Do you know what is the usual pH? Does it still have full coloration? Is it still eating well?
Any possibility of setting up hospital tank? Only (1) angel infected?
Was this angel obtained as adults or is it still young?
Blisters? i dont think it is Fish Pox as this virus is known to be cold water virus. Another word not likely found in warm water.
I am thinking more on Vibriosis caused by Vibrio anguilarium (bacterium).
Test for nitrates when possible , preferrably before any water changes. If high possibility of vibiosis, terramycin (Oxytetracycline) or triple sulfa by API would be best choices.

Also another possibility is Mycobacteriosis (Fish TB)!

I would recommend to test the wate for pH and nitrate first then go from there.

I am very curious if fish were exposed to low pH (lower than 6.0) for prolnged time?

Again, med recommended is to be usd in optimal water condition. Thus dont jump the gun and medicate the whole tank, please.
You may want to check those infection mentioned on line to compare with your symptoms since you can make the best comparison.

Do you have extra heater, bucket, and air pump?

Fishin Pole 11-21-2009 07:22 AM

i just came accross this thread and have the exact same problem with a 3 spot blue gourami, who in less than a day developed the same kind of sores on his body and fins........

No ammonia or nitrites and nitrate is about 15-20, tank is moderately planted and temp is 76 degreesF....Ph is 7.2.
...He is the only affected fish and seems not to be bothered by them in the least.........he is still eating and active..........

I moved him to a 10 gallon hospital tank and am slowly bumping the temp to 80 as i have been feeding him anti-parasitic food and have half dosed the tank with Formalin..............This was the only measures i could take at the moment.........

Well in 2 days i have seen improvement with the sores healing and he is still very active.......I think he is pissed for being in such a small tank!

I just wanted to relay my experience with the same type of issues and what has worked for me so far......Not sure if we are having the same problem, but thought it was worth mentioning......

cerianthus 11-21-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 277694)
i just came accross this thread and have the exact same problem with a 3 spot blue gourami, who in less than a day developed the same kind of sores on his body and fins........

No ammonia or nitrites and nitrate is about 15-20, tank is moderately planted and temp is 76 degreesF....Ph is 7.2.
...He is the only affected fish and seems not to be bothered by them in the least.........he is still eating and active..........

I moved him to a 10 gallon hospital tank and am slowly bumping the temp to 80 as i have been feeding him anti-parasitic food and have half dosed the tank with Formalin..............This was the only measures i could take at the moment.........

Well in 2 days i have seen improvement with the sores healing and he is still very active.......I think he is pissed for being in such a small tank!

I just wanted to relay my experience with the same type of issues and what has worked for me so far......Not sure if we are having the same problem, but thought it was worth mentioning......

Can you at least post pic of yours?

Formalin should not be used on fish having lesion/open sores. Shouldve consoder toxicity of Folmaldehyde before using. I cant say for sure but I dont think it is parqsitic infection.

Definitely not a good med to use for angel at this stage with an lesion/open sores/cut..

Fishin Pole 11-21-2009 09:37 AM

i used the formalin at half strength for fighting any possible fungal infections setting in on the open sores on the body and fins of the fish......It going on 3 days now and he is healing up better than i could have hoped for...I only dosed the tank once with it....I dont believe its parasitic either, but its the only medicated food i have at the moment, and figured it wouldnt hurt him, and he actually eats it, which with most fish, they turn their noses up to medded foods......I'm trying to let him heal as best as possible on his own before i go to a full series of some kind of meds......i dont think the Formalin hurt him, he is still very active, but not frantically nervous and he still is eating and healing....I will try to post before and after pics soon.......

Julie's Julies 11-21-2009 12:21 PM

I'll check in with her and see how the angel is doing. I'll get specifics on the pH and nitrate while I'm at it. Fishinpole, it does sound very similar if not exact! The angel is happy, is eating just fine, and is in no way bothered by the sores. She's doing short salt dips for him to see if there is any improvement. I'll keep you posted on how he does. Right now, her greatest concern is keeping the rest of the tank healthy. She doesn't have a hospital set-up, but I do, so I can go pick him up if necessary (we just didn't want to stress out the fish by transferring him since I don't live all that close to her).

cerianthus 11-21-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 277778)
i used the formalin at half strength for fighting any possible fungal infections setting in on the open sores on the body and fins of the fish......It going on 3 days now and he is healing up better than i could have hoped for...I only dosed the tank once with it....I dont believe its parasitic either, but its the only medicated food i have at the moment, and figured it wouldnt hurt him, and he actually eats it, which with most fish, they turn their noses up to medded foods......I'm trying to let him heal as best as possible on his own before i go to a full series of some kind of meds......i dont think the Formalin hurt him, he is still very active, but not frantically nervous and he still is eating and healing....I will try to post before and after pics soon.......

Hope he pulls thru.
FYI, Formalin may not show negative effect right away. In the future, no Formalin with open wound. Besides, by administering lower dosage of any med may have more negative consequences as pathogens may develop resistance to lower dosage which will eventually lead to its ineffectiveness.

Water if the key to all, IMHO. Sometimes by providing optimal/ideal water condition will do the trick. Well, sometimes.

Hope all goes well.