Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Angelfish Fry & BBS Hatchery (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/angelfish-fry-bbs-hatchery-32559/)

aquariangel 11-20-2009 09:56 AM

Angelfish Fry & BBS Hatchery

We've been checking the eggs very carefully every day since they were laid. As of yesterday we can see their little eyes. Expect tomorrow, Sunday at the latest they should be free swimming. :blueyay: SOOO excited!!

Set up a baby brine hatchery several days ago, but don't think the first batch hatched. We fed what we thought hatched to the angel parents in order to keep them well fed and off the babies this time.

Tonight we're going to make some changes. Found a DIY set up and we'll be placing 2-litre bottle inside our guppy grow out tank to maintain temps for the hatchery. When we got the kit the instructions said to "maintain constant light". In researching BBS breeding I couldn't find this sort of instruction anywhere else and figured it was to maintain temps which seems logical. Has anyone heard of light playing a factor in hatching BBS?

aunt kymmie 11-20-2009 09:57 AM

Pictures, where are the pictures?? :-)

aquariangel 11-20-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 277344)
Pictures, where are the pictures?? :-)

ROFLMAO! Haven't gotten around to it yet. We'll post some tonight Kymmie...PROMISE!

bearwithfish 11-20-2009 10:43 AM

well come on we want to se 'em...:) congrats!!! as for the light every source i looked at never mentioned light either sorry.......

aquariangel 11-20-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearwithfish (Post 277362)
well come on we want to se 'em...:) congrats!!! as for the light every source i looked at never mentioned light either sorry.......

Thanks! As it happens when i went home at lunch and checked on the fry (i was going to snap a few pics to post while i was at it) the parents had moved them from the leaf to.....eek the intake pipe! We didn't have the intake covered yet so I quickly grabbed hosery and covered it. I'll take some pics tonight and post them. Ironnically them being moved to the intake pipe is a much better angle for me to photograph now.

aunt kymmie 11-20-2009 01:58 PM

It's a good thing you went home for lunch instead of eating at your desk!!

aquariangel 11-20-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 277436)
It's a good thing you went home for lunch instead of eating at your desk!!

Yes it is! But, I go home for lunch every day, barring any lunch meetings or other things. With the three dogs at home I go home let them out and spend (and share when i eat) lunch with them. I'm really, really glad I checked on them too! who knows how many we lost from the time the parents moved them till i checked?

aquariangel 11-20-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearwithfish (Post 277362)

Oh, forgot, thank you for the comment on the lighting requirement. I haven't seen it anywhere but the instructions on the starter kit we bought either. I'm pleased with the DIY instructions I found and we're going to set that up tonight.

Fishin Pole 11-20-2009 03:02 PM

What would i do without my Aquariangel?.........They should be swimming around by tomorrow..........Just seen one dart from leaf to leaf, i guess he's testing his new found fins!

bearwithfish 11-20-2009 06:49 PM

well then send us the pix :p