Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   I'm bad, need some input (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/im-bad-need-some-input-32533/)

mrdemin 11-19-2009 06:23 PM

I'm bad, need some input

So I have the 3 angels, and 4 platys in my 29g. The 4 platys looked really, really lonely so I decided I would add 1-2. The stores here no longer have any reg wags for a couple of week already, so I decided on a dif color, but now I felt bad getting only 1 or 2 of them. I got 3 more platys, yes, thats right. After I put them in, I wasnt happy anymore, it just seems like too many. The tank isnt big enough. That stocking website says I'm only a little bit over, but I feel like it is WAY too much load. I literally almost put them back in the bag and brought them back right away, but figure I'd ask here first if it is really impossible to keep all these. I can do pwc twice a week no problem, I don't want the fish to be too uncomfortable.
I am also looking into getting a 10/20g and just moving the new platys there, but most likely I will just take them back if you guys yell at me! I am expecting all sorts of criticism, I just need to know. They look very nice, but I feel way too guilty.

Byron 11-19-2009 07:28 PM

I see nothing wrong with 7 platies in a 29g. I know the angels are small, but they will outgrow this tank more than the platies but it will be the tank itself, not the platies.

B.

1077 11-20-2009 02:25 AM

I too see nothing wrong so long as you keep up the water changes and are careful with feeding. I think some folks forget that each fish added to the tank =more waste produced.
Then ,some folks tend to feed extra for the additional fish and if water quality or tank maint isn't maintained,, the water quality begins to deteriorate. Is why those who buy plecos as cleanup fish,always amuse me. The plecos create more waste and add far more to the bioload or organic levels in the aquarium than any benefits they may provide with respect to cleaning the bottom. If you don't overfeed,, you don't need cleanup fish.
I also agree with Byron, the Angel fish will need larger tank, although a pair by themselves could be kept in the 29 gal for their entire lives.

willow 11-20-2009 03:05 AM

The boys have covered it perfectly for you..........
the only thing i would like to mention is the possibility of fry if you have females.
you would need to re home them if they survive not being eaten by the angels.

bearwithfish 11-20-2009 06:15 AM

agreed you are fine with the load as long as you keep up with it..... another option to help you would be add a filter i like to run a second filter (submersible) to keep up with the bioload... but you are all good:)

Byron 11-20-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearwithfish (Post 277262)
agreed you are fine with the load as long as you keep up with it..... another option to help you would be add a filter i like to run a second filter (submersible) to keep up with the bioload... but you are all good:)

With respect I must disagree with the issue of more filters helping. The waste produced by fish remains in the tank until it is removed with a partial water change. There is no filter that can remove this, and the more filters makes no difference. Additional filters will clear the water more, but that is different from cleaning the water.

Plants do filter out waste, but it takes a lot of plants and very few fish for this to be significant.

I've written extensively on this topic recently in a couple of other threads, and there is an excellent series of articles in the November and December (2009) issues of TFH that sets out the scientific data.
My comments are set out in post #21 in this thread if you're interested in the details:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...changes-31952/

Byron.

bearwithfish 11-20-2009 12:47 PM

duly noted, however, i was referring to extra biological filtration to keep Ammonia under control. i am reading the post you sent in a moment as i am always willing to learn more and after reading many of your posts agree that you are exceptionally knowledgeable.. thank you for pointing me in the right direction.....

mrdemin 11-20-2009 03:40 PM

Whew, I really didn't want to bring them back, they seemed to REALLY get along with the existing red wags... I think I got some females. I've been looking into getting a 55g, and that will be tough finding a spot for in my house. Worst case I'll find them a good home when the angels get bigger.
If they reproduce... Well, I'll have to find them a home or get a 20g, I'd rather not keep them as dinner for the rest.