Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Big-bellied Neons? Feeding question. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/big-bellied-neons-feeding-question-32439/)

fishmomma 11-17-2009 04:53 PM

Big-bellied Neons? Feeding question.

I have a school of neons in my tank, added 5 today so I now have 10, and I was wondering if it is normal for them to get distended bellies after feeding? I have been giving them small amounts of food throughout the day and they are always glad for it, as soon as they stop really swarming for the food I stop putting in food and I wait until later. It seems after eating a lot they look kind of...pregnant :lol:

Is this normal or does this bloating mean something more serious?

Amphitrite 11-17-2009 05:12 PM

In my experience neons do tend to have a bloated appearance after feeding. Feeding either once or twice a day is adequate though (no more than that), and don't put in more food than they can consume within a minute or so.

Byron 11-17-2009 06:04 PM

I agree with Amphitrite. Staff in stores and certainly fish food manufacturers keep telling us to feed several times a day...nonsense. Except for fry which need regular nourishment, fish can manage very well with one feeding a day, and if you go away for a week, they will be fine if they are healthy and the tank is stable and clean. I read once that there is sufficient nourishment in one small flake to carry a healthy fish like a tetra through the day.

Fish are wild creatures that spend the majority of their day hunting for food. They don't "know" when they may find some, so when they do, they eat as much as they can. They do the same in an aquarium. They "look" hungry and will keep gobbling up the food because they are programmed to do this. Always feed sparingly.

There is also the issue of burning off all this nourishment. In nature they are probably constantly alert for predators and swimming or jumping out of their way, plus they are swimming looking for the next meal and maybe chasing it down. In our aquarium they swim a bit and basically just "sit" there. It doesn't take much nourishment to support that lifestyle.

...And I should know, I am a perfect human example of this, all the time I spend sitting at this PC answering enquiries.:shock::lol:

Byron.

molliefan09 11-17-2009 06:39 PM

lol...arent we all byron!!

fishmomma 11-17-2009 10:02 PM

Thank you guys for the answers. I noticed not all of my neons are bloated. Today they got fed a little extra because I got new fish and I have had more experience with survival of new guys if I feed them when I add them. I will be more sparing in the future. Until yesterday they were only being fed once a day, then I started with two feedings.

AquariaNow 11-26-2009 04:56 PM

Most important is that they eat the food that they're given. As long as there's no "leftovers" you should be ok, though I do agree that once per day should be enough.

rsheets 12-02-2009 10:29 PM

I have one that looks pregars. Pretty sure it is. After she eats her tummy gets real big