Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Ground Cover Plant? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/ground-cover-plant-32432/)

Calmwaters 11-17-2009 04:31 PM

Ground Cover Plant?

Hi I am looking for suggestions for a ground cover plant that will spread quickly but that is also easy to care for. I have a 20 gallon planted tank that houses a Kuli Loach (soon to be 3) as well as other fish and have found out they like ground cover so I would like to add some for them. My light is a Nurti Grow 15 Watt plant lamp and is made by Coralife. I would be willing to change the bulb if it is needed. Thanks in advance for all your help. Also the tank is not one of the long ones it is a regular 20 gallon tank.

Angel079 11-17-2009 07:13 PM

I wanna say the lamp you have there is a full spectrum high intensity light already, so that should be sufficient enough for ground covers.
Now I used to LOVE Lilaeopsis Mauritiana in my previous tanks, which is a micro sword with real narrow leaves and forms a nice cover by its runners (sorta looks like grass really) , provided it has everything necessary for good growth (proper nutritious water & proper lights).
However since I couldn't find that when planting my new tank I bought dwarf baby tears, I can not yet tell you about its growth rate since I just planted it few days ago but as for the looks, I love it and it stay's real nice and low (~0.5" or less). However those apparently are recommended for pH 7.5 and LOWER when I was reading up before buying them, so you may want to consider your water parameters there.
A nice and definitely fast growing alternative is some Java moss tied down to a mesh of whatever size you want to cover and have it cover the ground for you. However the 'downside' of it is any rocks or DW will have the Java growing on it too UNLESS you regularly maintain it.

Hope these options help you.

MoneyMitch 11-17-2009 10:50 PM

might look into java ferns smaller species of swords and even baby tears java moss would also be up your alley but for most ground covers aside from the java fern and moss they will need ferts atleast once a week.

Calmwaters 11-18-2009 09:23 AM

Thanks guys. My ph is 7.2 so the baby tears should work I will have to see if I can find them around here or I may order online. I had java moss once a long time ago and I did not care for it because it covered my driftwood and I would prefer something that will stay just on the bottom and not cover the driftwood in the tank. I like the way the driftwood looks and I paid to much for it not to be able to see it. LOL

Angel079 11-18-2009 09:28 AM

If you can't find locally what you want, here's where I got my plants and was very pleased (with both quality & price)
Sweet Aquatics

Calmwaters 11-18-2009 09:49 AM

Thanks Angel I will look them up. It seems like the last time I was at the LFS where I get my plants they had them and they were $4.99 for a real small pot of them.

Blaxicanlatino 11-20-2009 11:46 AM

ive never heard of dwarf baby tears, i just bought some "baby tears". i hope these stay low too

ChristinaRoss 11-20-2009 05:05 PM

cool suggestions, im gonna look for the dwarf baby tears too