Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   At risk for ICH! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/risk-ich-323953/)

RainbowhLizzie 12-29-2013 10:10 PM

At risk for ICH!

I made the stupid mistake of dumping the petsmart water into my community tank with the BN pleco I just got last night. I was tired and just wanted to go to bed, but when I woke up, I was so mad at myself. Not only is the water ich infested, but so was the pleco. I quickly scooped him out and put him in QT. Then I crancked the heat up 3 degrees, and will do another 3 when I get home, so that it will be at 86 F. Is this safe for my snails and shrimp? I want to put salt but with my precious inverts, I dare not. What else can I do to prevent ich from hurting any of my fish? I mean they are all healthy and active besides one platy who is getting old.

1. What is the size of your tank?

20 gallon long

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.

Not sure, I can't afford one yet.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

Freshwater

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?

A couple of months

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

3 mollies, 3 platies, 6 guppies, 4 neon tetras, 4 albino cories, 20 mystery snail babies, 15 MTS, a ton of pond snails and some shrimp and guppy fry in a net breeder. I have had most since I cycled my tank, and the latest ones were last month.

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

Yes, each batch was for 3 days.

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?

82 F

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

Yes, a ton.

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

Whisper Power Filter 20 and a 40 gallon sponge filter.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

None

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

No light at the moment, just indirect sunlight.

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

About 2 a month, more as needed.
Yes, just the top of the sand.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

Twice a day. Aqueon tropical fish flakes.

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

None besides the pleco with ich.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.

Not sure what is being asked, but as I said, I am raising the heat to 86 F.

Any help is appreciated, thanks! :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jaysee 12-29-2013 10:33 PM

Your fish were at risk to get ich even if you didn't get a single drop of petsmart water in your tank because you did not quarantine the new fish. It carried the parasite into the tank. You would be better off putting the pleco back in the main tank and cranking the heat up to at least 86 for 2 weeks. Treat all the fish to eradicate it. Then, using better quarantine procedures, you can make sure that it doesn't get reintroduced.

RainbowhLizzie 12-30-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 3651785)
Treat all the fish to eradicate it. Then, using better quarantine procedures, you can make sure that it doesn't get reintroduced.

Thank you. I know I messed up by not quarantining. :oops: I should have known better by now.

angelcraze 12-31-2013 01:08 AM

You can try Ich Attack, it's supposed to be invert and plant safe. Raising the temp speeds the ich life cycle, the idea is to raise the temp high enough to kill the parasite without killing the fish. It's not always a sure shot, since you could have a small 'cold spot' and the ich spore could survive.

As far as I know, your snails and shrimp cannot host the ich parasite. If you were to remove your fish and treat them in the QT tank with a more aggressive ich treatment, and left your planted tank and inverts in the main tank (fishless) for say 2 weeks at 84F your ich should die in the main tank since they did not find a new host to reproduce. That is assuming you do not want to take a chance to hurt your plants and inverts.

Treating for ich is such a PITA in a planted main tank, I hope you figure something out, good luck.