Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Low light plant that will grow out of the water? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/low-light-plant-will-grow-out-32362/)

Angel079 11-16-2009 02:23 PM

Low light plant that will grow out of the water?

I know there's quite a few 'plant geeks' on here...so what I'm looking for, for my friends paludarium for a gift is a plant that HAS TO BE:
1) Fine with lower light conditions (meaning not your usual 6-7000K lights like our tanks have)
2) That will grow and thrive in and OUTside the water
3) Non poisonous to frogs (don't know if plants are or not, but for safety I rather add his point)

I'd really appriciate help here cause I'd really like to help her out with the new set up of her paludarium ;-)

Side note: Do Hygrphilia's still grow outside the water if not trimmed w/out dieing off?

Byron 11-16-2009 04:23 PM

The best plants would be bog plants. Some spend half the year emersed and half submersed, although many will adapt to either fairly well. Many of the Echinodorus will send leaves above the surface. I cannot identify which, as this is something I have never bothered with, so would have to research and that site you referenced earlier in another thread will probably help in this. B.

teddyzaper 11-16-2009 11:46 PM

will the roots be in the water and the leaves?

Angel079 11-17-2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddyzaper (Post 275576)
will the roots be in the water and the leaves?

The way her Paludariumis built/ set up about 10-12" would be under water of the plant and the rest should grow out of the water (ideally lol)

Angel079 11-17-2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 275294)
The best plants would be bog plants. Some spend half the year emersed and half submersed, although many will adapt to either fairly well. Many of the Echinodorus will send leaves above the surface. I cannot identify which, as this is something I have never bothered with, so would have to research and that site you referenced earlier in another thread will probably help in this. B.

Not really while the links do provide pictures and info as far as KH, pH and level of difficulty and light needs etc it won't tell me what actually can grow out of the water and still thrive. Nor will it tell me what actually 'works' for people that have tied such thing in their Paludariumis before ;-)

Byron 11-17-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 275635)
Not really while the links do provide pictures and info as far as KH, pH and level of difficulty and light needs etc it won't tell me what actually can grow out of the water and still thrive. Nor will it tell me what actually 'works' for people that have tied such thing in their Paludariumis before ;-)

Find a good info site on Echinodorus, then read the plant species descriptions. There are some species that will readily send leaves above the surface. I've seen photos of aquarists' tanks that are open-topped with the water lowered a bit, and swords shooting above the water. Just have to track down the species. I know E. macrophyllus will do this, I have this species but removing the odd leaf keeps it in the tank, and the cover is quite close to the surface anyway.

B.

Angel079 11-17-2009 02:18 PM

I actually have not yet found a webpage that has plant info and reference pictures that I had found GOOD to be honest with you :-( All I find is these 'basic' info pages :-(

I'll do some Echinodorus digging and see what I can find out, thanks.

fishkid 11-17-2009 02:20 PM

Bacopa will also grow above the water, and it is easy to grow.

Angel079 11-17-2009 06:16 PM

Really!? I always thought they're more in the end of needing high intensity lights?