Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Goldfish Tank Options (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/goldfish-tank-options-32350/)

Ender 11-16-2009 11:23 AM

Goldfish Tank Options

I recently inherited about three dozen fish from a friend who passed away. Among the fish were two beautiful Goldfish in a small 5 gallon tank.

I have never owned Goldfish before, but I knew they need a fairly large tank. All that I had vacant at the time was a 10 gallon tank. I figured it's not idea, but better than the 5 gallon until I can figure out what to do.

They had a couple ammonia burns when I got them. Now they are healed, fat and healthy. I put a 200GPH HOB filter on the tank that keeps the water crystal clear. PH is around 7.2, Nitrites are less than .3 mg/l, and ammonia is 0. They have a good 1" or slightly more of body. I have had them in this 10 gallon tank for about a month.

Here are my questions:

1. I realize that they cannot stay in a 10 gallon tank forever, but how much longer CAN they stay? This inheritance put a strain on my wallet so I would like to wait as long as possible (as long as is healthy) until I purchase a larger tank.

2. When I do upgrade the tank, what can I get away with? 20, 30, 40 gallon? Also, what kind and how many-if any-tank mates can they have in their new tank?

Thank you!

1077 11-16-2009 11:59 AM

If you wish to keep the goldfish to adult size,then most recommend thirty gallons per goldfish. In the meantime, You must keep ammonia and nitrites at zero, and nitrAtes below twenty. This may mean water changes of two gallons from the ten gallon tank twice a week. New water should be treated with declhlorinator before using it in the aquarium.
The fish will continue to grow (hopefully) and more waste will be produced and water quality will become more difficult to maintain in the ten gallon tank. You can help by not overfeeding the fish and performing water changes as described. I would urge you to begin looking for larger tank sooner ,rather than later.

Lupin 11-16-2009 05:28 PM

Ender, could you please determine what variant your goldfish is? Fancy ones need 15g per fish as a general guideline so a 30g will pretty much cover only two fancy goldfish although to make your options much more flexible, I'd go with a 55g. Orandas, ranchus, lionheads and fantails are the largest variants at 10-12 inches which is pretty much the average often reached by adults. Pond type goldfish such as hibunas (common goldfish), shubunkin and comets are better off in a 75g minimum which can accommodate at least 2-3 of them but no more than that as pond types can reach 12-18 inches and they need plenty of space in order to swim properly around.

For tankmates, it depends how big you can upgrade your tank with but normally, dojo loaches and bristlenose plecos are my preferred choice of tankmates, both of which are compatible with goldfish. Common plecos should be avoided at all costs. Not only are they too big for most tanks and also heavy bioload contributors but common plecos tend to be very aggressive by nature and will not hesitate to harass your goldfish.

What do you feed your goldfish currently?

Ender 11-17-2009 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like they may be Fantail, but I have attached a picture. Sorry for the quality-they are tough to photograph. :)

I have Goldfish Flakes, Pellets, and Bloodworms.

Lupin 11-18-2009 06:12 AM

Get 40g minimum for two fantails. These are indeed fantails and they grow ridiculously large and bulky of all the fancy variants we can find rivalling the orandas. As far as the food is concerned, I would not recommend feeding them flakes and floating pellets. Foods high in starch especially if the top ten ingredients on the list written comprise mostly starch based products, should be avoided completely. You could try Hikari Lionhead as part of their diet or simply make gel foods which you can find below.
Baby Food Gel Food Recipes
Gel food pics
Gel Food Recipes