Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Angelfish Stocking Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angelfish-stocking-question-32341/)

mattmathis 11-16-2009 09:19 AM

Angelfish Stocking Question

I have a 55 gallon tank that I want to be a community tank centered around a few angelfish. I've read a lot of places that you are pretty much safe from aggression with 2 angelfish in a 55, and even 3 because it is not likely that you will get a pair out of only 3. I don't really care if I have a pair or not anyway. I wouldn't have any room for the babies and I don't want to have to sell any.

I do have a 75 gallon community with one juvenile angel right now, and the ones I'm going to be getting for the 55 are juveniles too. So I figure If I get 3 and 2 do pair up, I could just put the other one in the 75 gallon and then have 2 in each tank.

Should that be ok?

mrdemin 11-16-2009 09:50 AM

They like to be in groups 3+

Byron 11-16-2009 01:02 PM

Agree, angels are social fish that do better in groups, I would suggest 4 or 5 in your 55g. They like lots of plants, and wood (branches, sticks) to slowly swim around as in their natural habitat. This could be a very nice aquarium, with a few bottom fish as tankmates (Corydoras cats, or a small size species of whiptail or some pleco (not the common pleco that grows to a foot).

Byron.

Freddy 11-16-2009 09:26 PM

Hm... Doesn't sound like it would work if you don't want babies. Unless you also have a fish that would eat the eggs. Since angelfish like to be in groups of at least 3-4, you will probably have at least one pair. Why don't you want babies? Won't your local pet store buy them?

mattmathis 11-16-2009 09:54 PM

Well, it's not like I don't want the babies, just not necessary. But I wouldn't take the to my lfs.:roll: It's insane there...

I would LOVE to get a group but people tell me that I will be swapping fish, and having some killed. And I just don't want to go through that. I'm an animal person, and once i get something it's mine. lol But if you think it's doable I'll go for it!

I was wondering what to do with the 75 too. I think I've got the bioload room. could I add 3 or so to it with the other juvie? It's got a good bit of plants in there...

thanks!!

Byron 11-17-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmathis (Post 275521)
Well, it's not like I don't want the babies, just not necessary. But I wouldn't take the to my lfs.:roll: It's insane there...

I would LOVE to get a group but people tell me that I will be swapping fish, and having some killed. And I just don't want to go through that. I'm an animal person, and once i get something it's mine. lol But if you think it's doable I'll go for it!

I was wondering what to do with the 75 too. I think I've got the bioload room. could I add 3 or so to it with the other juvie? It's got a good bit of plants in there...

thanks!!

You are more likely to have aggression issues with only two or even three fish than 5. There is less chance of a really dominant bully harming the others if there are more of them. And it is natural, and fish in my experience always are less stressed and therefore healthier when maintained along the lines of their natural habitat.

You mentioned other community fish earlier, and that is possible, several species of tetras but just avoid the small ones like neons and cardinals that tend to look like "lunch" to angels. Any of the Hyphessobrycon species would be good. And bottom fish as I mentioned before.

Byron.