Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Easier way to clean the bottom of the tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/easier-way-clean-bottom-tank-32335/)

brettxw 11-16-2009 12:44 AM

Easier way to clean the bottom of the tank?

Ive been going question crazy lately. Is there an easier way to clean the crap off the bottom of the tank (on top of the gravel and what not) instead of the siphoning way? A tool that will work???

nfored 11-16-2009 02:01 AM

A gravel vac is the only tool, however the best way to keep it clean is to have good circulation on the bottom to keep it from settling in the first place.

Angel079 11-16-2009 06:53 AM

I'd even begin before the cleaning steps...Don't over feed.

Many many people tent to overfeed their fish and that makes for more 'debris' then there should be to start with. So feed little, make food breaks fr 1 day ever so often, or only feed ever other day,

WisFish 11-16-2009 08:53 AM

Do you have any bottom feeders? They help keep algae from growing on the gravel by stirring things up. But gravel vac is the best way to keep things clean.

kelly528 11-16-2009 02:38 PM

Genetically engineering the world's first poop-eating fish

JK what do you mean an easier way than gravel vacuuming?! You're changing your water and cleaning your substrate at the same time!!! Plus, don't you just love the satisfaction of seeing all that crud getting sucked up the siphon?

Bottom feeders will clean up uneaten food, but more fish = more poop = more vacuuming. Just be sure not to overfeed. I feed my guys as much as they will eat in like a minute, once a day. None of that 'feed them what they'll eat in 5 minutes 3 times a day' B.S. A fish's stomach is a little larger than it's eyeball! Sheesh!

brettxw 11-16-2009 03:29 PM

Uh oh...I feed every night at like 1am....so once a day is to much?

Angel079 11-16-2009 03:31 PM

You can feed them a little once/day. I always feed mine with frozen foods (bloodworms etc) every other day and then only as little as they can eat in less then 1 min.

brettxw 11-16-2009 03:43 PM

I don't feed them a lot of flakes, a very little. Now with the two frogs in there, I have to be careful when I do gravel vacuum. They should make a product that makes gravel vacuuming easier.

kelly528 11-16-2009 08:30 PM

A HA! Flakes. If you switch to pellets you will get far less waste. Flakes just kind of get waterlogged, fall apart and blow all over the tank.

Also, it is advisable to feed your fish when they are awake, any where between 1/2 hour after turning the lights on and 1/2 hour before turning them off. Just like humans, fish don't metabolise very much food while they sleep.

brettxw 11-17-2009 02:30 PM

Only pellets I have used are sinking wafers that I used with the "algae" eaters. I am assuming there is different pellets to use for the fish, right?