Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What to do? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-do-32312/)

x2fast4everyone 11-15-2009 06:45 PM

What to do?

Alright so everything has died in my main tank. The rams are currently in the 3 gallon tank with my platys and they are not looking to active. What am I to do? I cant test the water until tomorrow because im out of test strips. I think there might be a problem with my tap water so I'm not gonna add any. Whole story was I was stupid and added distilled water to my tank then all fish started gasping for air. I quickly moved rams out. rest of the fish died. I also added a piece of slate 3 days ago. took that out.

x2fast4everyone 11-15-2009 06:46 PM

My water parameters were:
PH:7.5
Amm:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
GH: 100ppm - medium
Alkalinity: 300 ppm - not sure what this means.

Angel079 11-15-2009 06:50 PM

Its really difficult to give proper advise w/out knowing all details (tanks size, fish in there, time tank's been running, water parameters before 'accident' etc etc). However what it does sound like to me is good ideas gone bad with the water & rocks.

I am assuming you want to re-built this tank to 'make it work', correct?

As you said yourself, for starters pls provide the parameters tomorrow (Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, KH, GH), to see if its worth while saving or pretty much dump it and start over again.

Do you have the 'sick' tank and the 3g tank or more? Do you have plants in any of them?

On a side note, which has nothing to do with your initial issue, but to keep Platy in a 3g is less then ideal, are you aware of this?

Angel079 11-15-2009 06:51 PM

We must have posted @ same time lol

What is that tested with strips or drip test set? For your hardness you also need to test KH.
Are you 110% positive your Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite are all zero?

Twistersmom 11-15-2009 06:53 PM

You where using tap water and switched to distilled? What % of water did you change out?
Why do you believe your tap water is bad?

molliefan09 11-15-2009 06:59 PM

test strips are un reliable, i would rec a liquid tect kit like the one made by API...

x2fast4everyone 11-15-2009 07:00 PM

Yes i know the platy tank is not ideal. My tank is a 20 gallon. Positive my ammonia and all that is 0 it's a heavily planted tank. I havent checked the carbonated hardness in a long time. I have api tester.

x2fast4everyone 11-15-2009 07:01 PM

I only changed out about 10% of the water with distilled. I thought i would slowly adapt them to a new ph.

x2fast4everyone 11-15-2009 07:02 PM

Its almost like someone poisoned my water.

x2fast4everyone 11-15-2009 07:06 PM

oh and my tank has been up for about 9 months. I had the corys and neons for 9 months otos for about 6 months and the rams for about 3 weeks they just recently had eggs and 3 babies hatched but were quicly eaten. Ive also had the platys for 6 months.