Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Question about Leaf Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/question-about-leaf-fish-32233/)

CamryDS 11-14-2009 12:29 PM

Question about Leaf Fish

I'm looking towards in owning a leaf fish and add it to a tank -- do you guys suggest if I pick up the leaf fish, to leave it by itself or can i place it in my community tank?

the community tank consists of barbs and gourami

also do you guys know what fish are compatible with a leaf fish?

cerianthus 11-15-2009 10:47 AM

Check its feeding habits/requirement befor buying!

Kelso 11-15-2009 09:17 PM

I would not recommend a leaf fish at all for a community tank...you're best off seriously in a species only tank with that fish.

jeaninel 11-15-2009 10:44 PM

I have mine in a 55 gallon with full grown Congo tetra, a pair of Pearl gouramis and a pleco with no problems. Anything small such as neons or guppies will probably get eaten.

Kelso 11-15-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 274922)
I have mine in a 55 gallon with full grown Congo tetra, a pair of Pearl gouramis and a pleco with no problems. Anything small such as neons or guppies will probably get eaten.

However, bigger fish would be a more suitable environment community wise.

yippee 11-16-2009 01:42 AM

I've done the same research. What size tank do you have? I was looking at doing the leaf fish in a large tank with tiger barbs as well. I am personally under the impression it can work in the right size tank with proper aquascaping. I've also never had personal experience with the fish so it is just my opinion.

CamryDS 11-19-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yippee (Post 274974)
I've done the same research. What size tank do you have? I was looking at doing the leaf fish in a large tank with tiger barbs as well. I am personally under the impression it can work in the right size tank with proper aquascaping. I've also never had personal experience with the fish so it is just my opinion.

I'm planning to get a 55 Gal stand alone and put 2 african and 2 SA leaf Fish inside (iknow they are both from opposite sides of the world, but I think it may workout with the right aquascape -- dunno if I should go soft or hardwater?

jeaninel 11-19-2009 11:11 PM

The South American Leaf Fish (Monocirrhus Polyacanthus) likes soft, acidic water with Ph of 5-6.5 and hardness of 2-10dh. The African Leaf fish (Ctenopoma Acutirostre) Ph of 6-8 and hardness of 5-12dh. I don't have any experience with the SA so not sure how they will do together.

Freddy 11-20-2009 06:01 PM

Wow. That's a lot of gouramis. Just watch out for how big the leaf fish's mouth can get. It might eat some of the smaller gouramis, but if they can't fit in its mouth they will be okay. Leaf fish eat by sucking in their prey, so anything smaller than about 3 or 4 tetras put together will probably get eaten.

Also, this fish will only take live foods, so make sure your budget can handle it!

jeaninel 11-22-2009 01:17 AM

I got my Cteno from Petsmart and she has eaten prepared food from day one. She's not picky and eats flake, pellets, frozen and of course live (ghost shrimp and homegrown guppy fry). Not sure about the SA Leaf fish though. Check with the LFS to see what they are feeding them.