Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   filter stopped (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/filter-stopped-32232/)

stephanieleah 11-14-2009 12:28 PM

filter stopped

Hi all

Last night I noticed my filter was not running even though it was plugged in and everything else was working. I tried plugging it in to different outlets but to no avail. Just wondered if anyone has encountered this problem...could it be an electrical outlet issue? It was plugged into a surge protector. The night before I thought I smelled a slight burning odor like plastic but couldn't locate the source. I popped in a temp filter (that's not working at all, the water is already really cloudy, but at least they will get their oxygen).

My filter is a Marineland Emperor 280.

I also wondered if my bio-filter will still be "charged" with bacteria once the water stops spraying on it consistently.

I guess I'll buy a new one now and try to get the manufacturer to replace the broken one.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Twistersmom 11-14-2009 12:37 PM

Place the bio-wheels and media in a bucket with tank water to keep it wet, till the filter can be fixed or replaced.
What have you tried so far, to get the filter running? Have you taken it apart for cleaning? Take the intake apart, make sure it is not clogged, make sure the impeller is clean and seated properly.
Have you tried adding cups full of water to the filter, after plugging it in (to prime the filter)?

fish999 11-14-2009 01:28 PM

That happens to me when a piece of gravel or sand has lodged in the impeller. No harm done if it shut itself off. Just take the pump apart and rinse out the sand/gravel and put it back together.

Whats scary is if it doesn't shut off with a piece of something stuck in there... then it can burn up the pump and makes a horrible loud knocking sound. that was on a aqua-clear 70 external filter, but i bet its the same thing, Something stuck in there and it shut itself down.

cerianthus 11-14-2009 01:55 PM

As fish999 says, take the filter apart and clean out motor (housing) and impeller assembly. It could be that something may have jammed in there.
It could also be that magnet may have detached from its plastic counter part and magnet is free spinning. If this is so, you could hear the magnet spinning but no pumping action. You can attach magnet back to its plastic counter parts (top & bottom of msgnet) using Crazy Glue when comp dried out.
When applying glue, make sure to use little. Dont want to glue the shaft to magnet.
Media can be left in the tank so all BB on the media will be working rather than in the bucket. Aerate at least.

It could also be the surge protector strip. You could try any extension from other outlets to see if it is the strip which gone bad.

Good Luck!

Twistersmom 11-14-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerianthus (Post 274000)
Media can be left in the tank so all BB on the media will be working rather than in the bucket. Aerate at least.

cerianthus is correct, in the tank would be better.

WisFish 11-14-2009 03:28 PM

If you're not sure if the outet is working, plug a lamp into the outlet to check it. If the outlet is a GFI (which for aquariums it should be) you may just have to reset it.

stephanieleah 11-14-2009 09:25 PM

Well thanks everyone for the tips. I'll check the impeller to see if something is lodged in there...I just assumed since the motor had shut down that it was an electrical issue, didn't realize that it could shut itself off to avoid other problems.

I transferred my bio wheel but it was almost dry by the time I took it off the old filter : ( So I added safe start.

jmlampert23 11-14-2009 10:53 PM

also depending on how old it is you could have just burnt out the power head. which means one of two things, you either need to buy a new filter or you can sometimes get replacement power heads