Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   8 Gallon tank plants help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/8-gallon-tank-plants-help-32206/)

milindsaraswala 11-14-2009 04:35 AM

8 Gallon tank plants help

I have 8 gallon tank with 100 w heater, 120L/h internal filter, and air stone for Oxygen bubble. Betta fish only my tank.

Now I am thinking to add 6 Neon tetra and 10 Red cherry shrimp.

With above addition I wanted to add some plants in my tank which my like. I don't want to spend more money on it. Low Lite, no CO2 and less care plants.

Can somebody help me on that.

Angel079 11-14-2009 07:58 AM

Hi,
I know your question was about the plants...but on a side note for the red cherry & Betta, I will have to tell ya that the Betta most likly will enjoy them for a snack.
What I'd do is: Remove your oxygen stone, plants plants and after they been in there for several days, then add your other fish.

As for plants that will do ok in lower lights, I'd suggest 8x Vallisneria and 4x Hygrophilia
Vallisneria : Sweet Aquatics
Hygrophila Corymbosa 'Siamensis' - $1.50 : Sweet Aquatics

When the Hygrophilia starts reaching the top of your tank, trim back and put the clipping back into the gravel, they grow pretty well.

Twistersmom 11-14-2009 11:47 AM

I could just be on the lucky side, I lost betta number one, now have male betta #2, and both have done well with my cherry shrimp. All bettas are not alike, so it may not work for you. Let your plant grow in, try a few shrimp, to see if it will work. The plants will provide cover for the shrimp, if needed.

Byron 11-14-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milindsaraswala (Post 273770)
I have 8 gallon tank with 100 w heater, 120L/h internal filter, and air stone for Oxygen bubble. Betta fish only my tank.

Now I am thinking to add 6 Neon tetra and 10 Red cherry shrimp.

With above addition I wanted to add some plants in my tank which my like. I don't want to spend more money on it. Low Lite, no CO2 and less care plants.

Can somebody help me on that.

First, remove the airstone. With live plants, they need carbon and that comes mostly from carbon dioxide (CO2) which is produced by the fish (in respiration) and some from the biological processes in the aquarium. But there won't be much, and any surface disturbance will drive CO2 out of the water faster before the plants can use it. In any event, with the filter you have on an 8 gallon tank, you have no oxygen worries. And with plants, even less, since live plants produce oxygen when they take in the CO2 during photosynthesis and that is how they grow.

I have read that sometimes bettas will consider neons as food, especially when they are small.

As for suitable plants, there are many. I'm not sure I would class stem plants like Wisteria as less care because stem plants grow fast and require constant trimming (once a week usually) to prevent them from covering the surface and then the lower leaves generally fall off and you have bare stems because insufficient light gets through the tangle on the surface. Rooted plants would be less effort. Swords and crypts would work, or Anubias and Java Fern which are attached to rocks or wood rather than being planted in the substrate. With Betta definitely floating plants, and Ceratopteris is ideal. It also grows fast and produces many daughter plants on the floating leaves, but these can easily be removed and floated on their own and the larger adult plants discarded; this is much less effort than trimming stem plants.

Byron.