Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   How long can a disease last in a tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/how-long-can-disease-last-tank-321698/)

Aqua Jon 12-24-2013 12:34 AM

How long can a disease last in a tank?

So i have had issues with fish swimming eratically, started with angelfish, stayed with all angelfish (went through 8 !) and im assuming the same thing killed off many neons (13 to be exact). I have 11 of the 24 neons i bought a few weeks ago. One had been showing the signs of "space flight" swim. It looks like they are just kind of there for the ride you know? plus red gills, but It seems to be regaining control of normal swim and may survive.

My thoughts are that something entered the tank with the angelfish originally and has reproduced and continually infected the stressed out newcomers, thought it does kill older fish except for 2.

How long would it take for a disease to run its course and die out before I can start buying and QTing new fish?

note: all water params checked out normal every time and no need to travel that road.

jaysee 12-24-2013 01:23 AM

Some things are not communicable and others are extremely difficult to get rid of. In my experience, if you don't know what killed the fish, meaning that weren't any discernible symptoms, then it's something that you shouldn't worry too much about.

I'm taking a WILD guess and saying internal parasites.

Aqua Jon 12-24-2013 11:56 AM

Yeah. No visible heads up whatsoever. That's what I get for buying corporate store fish :/ lessons learned. I'll toss the food just in case and buy higher quality, same with the fish quality!
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 12-24-2013 12:29 PM

You can get good fish from chain stores and bad fish from local stores. Every store should be judged on its own merits.

I know people love to blame the store for why their fish died - it's certainly easier than taking responsibility. The fishs death may or may not have had anything to do with quality of stock - it's just something we will never know. Feeding a low quality food can easily lead to digestive issues that result in the fishs death. Not saying that you are responsible for the death of the fish - many fish are fed garbage and survive. It's just that there are so many variables to consider, both in and out of our control, that it's really difficult to point fingers. All you can do is try your best and hope for the best - buy fish that seem healthy, feed good food, stock smartly and maintain water quality.

Aqua Jon 12-24-2013 03:16 PM

very helpful jaysee! That is a very good outlook, that i'm beginning to adopt. I suppose the fish that have survived, are going to be quite hardy :)

Do you have any recommended articles or books on water quality and stocking or QT? I've seen the compatibility charts and "think" i know the basics fairly well. My favorite fish are GBR and discus. But it comes down to what my tank can sustain rather than what can survive within my tank.

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge!

jaysee 12-24-2013 04:11 PM

In my opinion rickyr is our resident water expert, being a water chemist for the EPA. I don't particularly care about my water parameters, except that ammonia and nitrite are both 0.

Stocking....is more art than science. A lot of people have experience with different stocking setups in different tanks. Usually once you start to indicate what direction you want to go, people start chiming in who are familiar with the fish you're looking at. There are stocking calculators and charts - generally the more sophisticated the better. Aqadvisor, while certainly not perfect, looks pretty perfect when compared to any chart. Even with aqadvisor, it is best to check the results with humans and not rely on algorithms.

Quarantining is essential, in my opinion, for long term success in the hobby. There must be stickies on it somewhere. Certainly are plenty of threads on it if you do a search.

The best thing for you to do is read up on the threads, then ask questions. This way, you will not be hearing information for the first time and will be able to assimilate it better.