Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   pasfur (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/pasfur-32151/)

jjtf00 11-12-2009 08:25 PM

pasfur
 
what hang on wet dry filters do you recommend?

geohatrick 11-12-2009 09:22 PM

if you have read enough to know that pasfur is the person to ask i think you would also notice that pasfur doesn't recommend any filters in salt water tanks other than live rock deep sand bed and big skimmer.

jjtf00 11-12-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geohatrick (Post 273116)
if you have read enough to know that pasfur is the person to ask i think you would also notice that pasfur doesn't recommend any filters in salt water tanks other than live rock deep sand bed and big skimmer.

sorry for asking then..?.?...

geohatrick 11-12-2009 09:58 PM

im sorry i didnt mean it to come across so blunt. I am no expert at saltwater tank's but i do know that this site has a wealth of information i would recommend reading as many threads in the saltwater aquarium forum as possible before attempting a saltwater tanks pasfur has recently written a great article aswell on filtration in salt water tanks. Again im sorry if what i saw before came across as really blunt and rude it is always better to ask questions then to not ask them at all.

Cheers Zac

wake49 11-13-2009 06:17 AM

jtf00, what kind of tank are you doing? Is it Fish Only (FO), Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR) or full Reef? This will help us to tell you the basics of filtration, although geo is right: Live Rock, Live Sand & a Protein Skimmer are the keys to success in this hobby. Also, how big is the tank and what kind of lighting do you have? Do you have a sump? Heaters? Let us know.

jjtf00 11-14-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 273260)
jtf00, what kind of tank are you doing? Is it Fish Only (FO), Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR) or full Reef? This will help us to tell you the basics of filtration, although geo is right: Live Rock, Live Sand & a Protein Skimmer are the keys to success in this hobby. Also, how big is the tank and what kind of lighting do you have? Do you have a sump? Heaters? Let us know.

i have pictures posted.

Pasfur 11-14-2009 09:38 AM

I've seen your pictures and am very familiar with your tank. I would rather cut off my little finger with a butter knife than place a wet dry filter on that tank. You have the basics of the tank in place already. A nice deep sand bed and a good live rock structure. Why would you ruin this with a wet dry filter that will cause your nitrates to increase, phosphates to increase, and alkalinity to drop?

jjtf00 11-14-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 273847)
I've seen your pictures and am very familiar with your tank. I would rather cut off my little finger with a butter knife than place a wet dry filter on that tank. You have the basics of the tank in place already. A nice deep sand bed and a good live rock structure. Why would you ruin this with a wet dry filter that will cause your nitrates to increase, phosphates to increase, and alkalinity to drop?

sweet. sounds good. so my top fin 30 is good?

Pasfur 11-15-2009 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjtf00 (Post 274087)
sweet. sounds good. so my top fin 30 is good?

Your filtration questions are becoming difficult to answer, because I'm not sure what you are getting at. Is your top fin 30 good for what? What do you want it to do?

(please don't say "filter the water", because i might jump off a tall building.)

jjtf00 11-16-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 274353)
Your filtration questions are becoming difficult to answer, because I'm not sure what you are getting at. Is your top fin 30 good for what? What do you want it to do?

(please don't say "filter the water", because i might jump off a tall building.)

is it safe with the filter pad in? will the filter pad cause problems?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2