Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Water "hardening" while cycling? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/water-hardening-while-cycling-32128/)

Angel079 11-12-2009 01:59 PM

Water "hardening" while cycling?

OK, this is a new one for me I hadn't seen before:
Tap water when I set up the tank: pH 6.8 & KH 1
Water now after tank's running for 1 week w/out plants pH 7.2 & KH 3

Not that I'm bitching to have a lil more stable pH here and a KH that's more tolerable for most fish folks and I know its also not a very drastic up-rise but is that NORMAL when you cycle a tank with super soft water??
Cause any of my old "hard water" tanks didn't do that.

I'd *assume* its normal cause even the neatest & cleanest gravel will have some loose substances on it still that will dissolve in the tank water and add to the hardness....at least that's my best guess here. But I'm sure our "Softy- Byron" knows more :lol:

Byron 11-12-2009 05:18 PM

I've never had the hardness increase in a new tank unless there are calcareous materials in it, such as limestone or lava rock, dolomite, marble, coral, shells, etc. There may be decor items that would increase hardness similarly by slowing dissolving/leeching calcium and magnesium. If you have no rock, etc., I would look into the gravel/sand. The hardness has to come from something, and the pH is related.

I have had pH rise by .2 from 6.8 to 7.0 but as soon as the biological processes get started this drops back.

B.

mollies 11-12-2009 05:23 PM

First off what all is in your tank? Deco, filter, sub, plants, If you could tell us. It may be that you have something in your tank raising it. Mine out of the tap is 7.8 When added to tank it gose up to 8.2. cause the rock s i have in the tank. Which is just fine for africans. lol

Angel079 11-12-2009 06:09 PM

So you think its not permanent Byron I mean its still in good range fro Tetra's even being higher right now, I'm just really wondering cause I never experienced this before?
The only "decor" in there that would give it off is the gravel as I suspected. The only other "decor" is a large 2ft'er driftwood but that will not make the KH go UP. It's just regualr semi fine grain gravel for aquariums from petco (Pebble beach or river or some fancy name like that).

I just got done planting today, here's detailed pictures http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...planted-32141/

@Mollies: Filter Eheim 2213, no substrate under gravel, no rocks no other decor, really only DW and plants & gravel (call me simple but I like my tanks that way)

mollies 11-12-2009 06:54 PM

your gravel is your substrat. lol any who maybe just a bad reading check it again.

Angel079 11-12-2009 07:27 PM

By no substrate I meant that fancy special stuff you can buy for under the gravel for plants, I ain't got that, just plan ole gravel.

I re-checked 2x before posting, tap & tank water lol reading is correct

Byron 11-12-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 273036)
By no substrate I meant that fancy special stuff you can buy for under the gravel for plants, I ain't got that, just plan ole gravel.

I re-checked 2x before posting, tap & tank water lol reading is correct

Following advice from 1077 elsewhere, run some tap water and let it sit overnight and then test the hardness and pH after maybe 12 hours or so. I know that pH can be different, but haven't heard about hardness. And can you test GH and KH?

KH is carbonate hardness and that cannot increase unless calcareous substances are added to the water from something. The wood has the opposite effect, it leeches tannins that acidify and lower pH and hardness, though marginally.

And yes, I am certain it is not permanent--unless there is something in the tank causing it. Let us know the readings after 12 hours.

B.

Angel079 11-13-2009 07:22 AM

I'll set up tap water today and measure it tonight.

I'm pretty sure like I said from the start, its gotta be the gravel cause there's nothing else that would harden it, if anything the big root would make it even softer.

Just another reason why to let it cycle few weeks w/out fish until the water parameters have decided what they wanna do :-)