Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Brown Algae

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  joshheat25 
#1 ·
Ok, so I've had my 29 gallon tank approx 2 months now.. I have 5 juvenile cichlids that seem happy, water is crystal clear, levels all good. Approximately two weeks ago I noticed brown algae growing & eventually covering the majority of one of my rocks. I checked the nitrites and it was pretty high so I performed a 50% water change and figured I'd give it another week to see how it reacted.

Well... I don't think it's spread on the rock, but now I see some brown algae starting to grow on my plastic plant (please don't rip me on this one). It looks like I'll need to take the rock & plant out to give them a good cleaning.. & correct/re-test the levels again.

My question is.. am I going about this the right way? Anything else I should do? I thought about adding a sucker or otocinclus to help keep that in check, but I think I'm stocked at the max right now.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
are you planing on upgrading your tank? You will be way over crowed when they start growing.

#4 · (Edited)
no.. but I don't intend on keeping them all either. There is plenty of room now, but presuming they all survive my inexperience to maturity.. I'll give a couple away. On that subject, how many can I keep in a 30g? I was thinking no more than 3.

Back to the algae, how long does it take to 'fade' away? Is this a part of a natural tank cycle?

#5 ·
My best suggestion to you atm is: Take any rock & plastic decor out, scrub with a hard bristle brush (NO CLEANERS just hot water), let it dry out in the sun ideally if you can. Then place it back in the tank.
Ensure that you do a weekly water exchange at about 30% of the total tank volume. Ensure checking your nitrates and if they rise again, make a instant larger water exchange.
That's the advantage of live plants, in a heavy planted tank you don't have these nitrate issues once established (cycled) properly.
And no this is not part of the 'standard' cycling process to have algae like this.

#7 ·
And no this is not part of the 'standard' cycling process to have algae like this.
Not to disagree but to throw in my 2 cents: Based on everything I've read (and experienced) brown diatoms are a natural part of a newly cycled tank and will eventually die off. Not sure how to hasten this die off but I'm sure Byron will have a suggestion(s).

#8 ·
Any other suggestion is your tank size vs the stocking you have. What kind of Cichlid's do you have exactly?
Any I know would be ideally kept at a tank size 55 gallon and up as a group, hence I'd not be suggestion to keep any in a 29g (which is also why mollies asked you about upgrading). Its just the wrong fish in the wrong size tank. Alternatively sell them and buy the right fish for your tank and water.

#9 ·
Diatoms (brown algae) are common in new tanks, though sometimes they don't appear; I've had it both ways. Thinking back, when I have used large plants from an existing tank to plant the new tank, and added fish the first day, I have never had diatoms. But in brand new tanks with new (small) plants, I have. It should disappear after the first round. It can also occur in low light and with excess of silicates (minerals). I wouldn't buy a fish just to handle this, as it will be gone (assuming your maintenance and stocking is balanced) and you haven't room for more fish as others have noted.

Which brings me to a more serious matter: your statement that there is plenty of room now until they mature. This is not actually true. Keeping a potentially large fish in a small tank frequently does affect its growth. But this is not a benign process that creates a perfect miniature version of the fish. It is termed "stunting."

Fish growth is affected by a number of different things, and one of these is water volume or tank size; this has two impacts, water quality and actual space for the fish to properly develop. As a fish grows, the internal organs develop towards the adult fish. During this process, if the fish is confined to a small tank for its adult size, the growth rate is affected. Health problems arise. Most commonly this affects the immune system which can lead to other problems down the road. Behavioural problems are common when the fish is growing in an unsuitable environment.

Aside from very short-term tanks for fry, fish should always be housed in an aquarium that will provide the requirements of the particular species when adult. This is a good way to ensure proper development and that means healthier fish.

Byron.

#18 ·
Diatoms (brown algae) are common in new tanks
No kidding!? Sorry my bet then....I just really didn't think so, I never had them in any of the tanks, sorry guys!:|

#10 · (Edited)
I wouldnt recomend any Cichlid in a 30 Gallon as iv raised them and still have them. I dont keep them in anything smaller then a 55 gallon. If you could tell us what kind of cichlid you have it would better tell us what you can do. With that said. if you could get a bigger tank within the next month or 2 then you would be fine. If not rehome them and get fish that are more suited for your tank and water. like angel had said. We are not trying to be rude. We have experianced these fish for some time. And know the limitations of them. Best wishis

#12 ·
Yes dwarfs would be ok.. But as fox said he could rehome some if needed which leads me to think they are going to out grow his/her tank.

#13 · (Edited)
I have Africans.... a lot like this picture. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/3072975985_371cd30b8b.jpg
I have 2 of the orange ones just like the picture... another blue/black striped like the one on the left, one electric yellow & another that is a violet/purple color w/yellow fins that I can't ID. They are all approx 2".

In hindsight, cichlids don't sound like the ideal choice for my setup based on what you guys are saying.. but should I get rid of all of them now? I know I can find a home for one or two, but didn't anticipate the idea of getting rid of 5. In that case do you just take them back to a local breeder & say here you go?

Like most new aquarium owners I made the mistake of listening to the Petco fish guy.. who in this case said I could easily have 6-7. I thought that was a bit much so I scaled back a bit. Sounds like I might be able to keep 1??

#14 ·
Ok lets start here africans can live to be 7 to 8 years or even more. Depending how they are tanken care of. Yes i would go to the breeder and say sory i cant keep these guys my tank is not big enough. If he/she say no we cant take them back. Take them to you lfs. They may not buy them but would take them off yourr hands. Now you could alway upgrade like said earlyer. To a 55 and keep all of them. But be sure to have the proper places for them to hide in cause as they get bigger there will be agresion isus.

#16 ·
You could have a number of fish neon tetras. mollies, plateys, corys, ect. I will let some one with better knowleg of that size of tank and small of fish.

#17 ·
I'd solve the problem with the existing one's first. Then worry about new one's.
To best advise you what works for your size tank and will thrive in your water: What water parameters do you have (pH & KH)?

@mollies 7-8 yrs lifespan, I find that fairly short really!?

#19 ·
Yes 7 to 8. like said above. if you keep your tank in great shape then longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.