Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   THE question of all questions (Stocking) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-all-questions-stocking-32012/)

Angel079 11-09-2009 10:53 PM

THE question of all questions (Stocking)

Alright, I need to start rapping my head around who I wanna house here in the 1st tank....so please feedback on what goes and what doesn't (since they're really not naturally living in the same place) and of CAUSE how many of each would you put in AND of cause any other suggestions what I can alternatively stock with PLEASE!?:dunno:

Info: 55 gallon, pH 6.8, KH 1

Cardinal Tetra’s
Emperor Tetra’s
Glass Catfish
Honey Gourami
Cory (C. trillineatus)
Rosy Red’s (Pimephales promelas)

Lupin 11-10-2009 05:30 AM

15 cardinals, 15 emperors, 6 glass catfish, 8-10 cories and a pair of honey gouramis. How about that?

bearwithfish 11-10-2009 06:20 AM

i like it lupin but, how about 25 guppies, 10 corries, and some neons probably around 10

bearwithfish 11-10-2009 06:20 AM

did i mention i am a guppy freak.. oh and platties to...

Angel079 11-10-2009 07:03 AM

Yea just this water is not made for Livebearers on this end.

Angel079 11-10-2009 12:22 PM

Only 2 people having thoughts on the stocking issue??? :-(

Byron 11-10-2009 01:02 PM

Lupin's numbers are good. And I agree, no livebearers; they prefer some hardness, the characins do not. My only additional comment would be adding a few more species of characin, in which case reduce the existing a bit, 9+ of each species is good. There are tons of tetras out there.

B.

Angel079 11-10-2009 03:07 PM

You mean like these red eyed ones?
So something like:
10 cardinals, 10 emperors, 10
characin, pair of honey gouramis
6 glass catfish,
8-10 cories
I sorted them by their areas...wouldn't that just be too much for the upper half of the tank then? Or any I underestimating my 55g cause its been too long (and I sued to have wayyy bigger fish before)!?

Byron 11-10-2009 03:40 PM

By characins I mean the group of fish known as characins or characidae, which includes the many species we commonly refer to as tetras, pencilfish and hatchetfish.

Many of the tetras do not frequent the upper levels in the tank but prefer the middle to lower levels. Cardinals, emperors, and others like the phantoms, the many Hyphessobrycon species (rosy tetras, roberti tetras, bentosi tetras...), etc. Thinking of upper water level tetras there are the Garnet or Pretty Tetra (Hemigrammus pulcher) and closely related Head & Tail Light Tetra, hatchetfish of course right at the surface, and maybe the Beacon Tetra which is probably the one you mean by red eye. It's been many, many years since I had a group of these, but I think they are upper level fish. You could check the fish profiles section on this forum; I'm not sure, but there may be references to where some of the fish prefer in the water column. Or several other fish database sites.

The gouramis would be more up in the tank, they like floating plants to browse through the roots.

In your 55g with your good weekly maintenance and plants you could have quite a number of different species of small fish like tetras and corys. And like me, with your excellent water parameters the choice is almost endless. Fish others can only dream of will feel right at home in your aquarium with soft slightly acidic water. A good site with photos of many species is Seriously Fish. It's not a forum but a knowledge base so I assume I'm allowed to add a link to the tetra pages: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/kb.php?t=pv&s=2.2

B.

Angel079 11-10-2009 04:30 PM

Awesome site, thanks for the link!!!!
These are the one's I seen at the store, my bet they didn't have red eyes but red nose, sorry
Hemigrammus rhodostomus - Rummy-nose tetra

I think what I'm gonna do (since I can't add all of these in one go anyway I believe to recall) I'll get 12 cardinals, 8 emperors, 8-10 cories (the trillineatus, my fav) and go from there how much 'room' appears to be left and / or what else may fit in the gang's behavior.