Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   NOOB!! Given wrong info to buy fish. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/noob-given-wrong-info-buy-fish-32008/)

Mazdamarc 11-09-2009 10:06 PM

NOOB!! Given wrong info to buy fish.

OK i have already messed up but untill i get the money to get a bigger tank im stuck. i was given a 20gal fish tank i bought a submergable heater,filter and bubble bar. i didnt start the tank right i knew nothing about cycleing a tank so i didn't do it. OK i have two Oscars and one catfish in the tank i was given wrong info to buy them because i didn't know that they grew so big now i know they do i will not be able to get a bigger tank until later. I test the water daily and for ph,nitrite,nitrate,hardness, and alkalinity with the 5 way test strips.

Angel079 11-09-2009 10:18 PM

Hi there & Welcome to the forum!

Bring the Oscar's back!?
Sell 'em on aquabid?
Buy a used tank (a VERY big tank)?

Do you have any high NO2/3 readings yet? You'll be needing to do a lot water exchanges till that's properly cycled now, sorry to tell ya. :-)

CamryDS 11-10-2009 07:54 AM

please tell me you didn't buy it from a petsmart or anything of the kind. I walked in one night and an old lady said that we needed 48 hours to properly cycle a fish tank. my head spun.... and I thought 48 hours only!? wow -- more like 4 weeks!

Angel079 11-10-2009 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamryDS (Post 271630)
please tell me you didn't buy it from a petsmart or anything of the kind. I walked in one night and an old lady said that we needed 48 hours to properly cycle a fish tank. my head spun.... and I thought 48 hours only!? wow -- more like 4 weeks!

:rofl:yea they do indeed have some "good advise" there don't they!? :lol:

aunt kymmie 11-10-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazdamarc (Post 271534)
OK i have already messed up but untill i get the money to get a bigger tank im stuck. i was given a 20gal fish tank i bought a submergable heater,filter and bubble bar. i didnt start the tank right i knew nothing about cycleing a tank so i didn't do it. OK i have two Oscars and one catfish in the tank i was given wrong info to buy them because i didn't know that they grew so big now i know they do i will not be able to get a bigger tank until later. I test the water daily and for ph,nitrite,nitrate,hardness, and alkalinity with the 5 way test strips.

Hi Mazdamarc- Welcome to the forum! If I were you (and I'm not) I'd go with Angel079's first suggestion and take the fish back. If the store protests I'd be very insistent!
I'm sorry you were given such poor information on your first foray into fishkeeping.

SinCrisis 11-10-2009 09:24 AM

I would suggest more research on your part also Mazdamarc. Its unfortunate that pet stores have uneducated staff, but its also up to the hobbyist to do their own research before jumping in. There is also the option of trading the fish with other people in your area.

Mazdamarc 11-10-2009 08:13 PM

OK bad news i woke up today and my small oscar and cat fish was dead. Is there anything that could cause them to suddenly die like that?? i know its bad on my part for not doing my home work. So now i only have my bigger oscar about 3.5 in. What do i need to do to the water to make sure everything is right??

Angel079 11-10-2009 08:44 PM

Test your water strait away, bet your nitrit & nitrate are too high. If so do a large water exchange strait away to rescue the remaining fish.

Mazdamarc 11-10-2009 09:46 PM

nitrite-0
nitrate-0
total alkalinity-40
ph-6.2

anything else i need to do?? when i do a water change should i take out the fish/ add the water and conditioner then put the fish back in?

Angel079 11-10-2009 09:50 PM

No ammonia, nothing, how odd...
Then the only other thing I could think of is that your remaining Oscar crewed up the other 2...

No, you leave the fish where he's at. Just suck some water out into a bucket, dump it, refill bucket with clean water & the conditioner and add it to the tank (slow don't dump all in 2 sec).