Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   New 29 gallon tank!! And i need help!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/new-29-gallon-tank-i-need-31995/)

miataliker 11-09-2009 05:35 PM

New 29 gallon tank!! And i need help!!

Alright, well i just bought a 29 gallon tank. What kind of light would i need. It came with a top that haves a bulb of 12w and t8 bulb. Is that enough to keep atleast corals? I mean i dont have any for now, but is planning on having some later on in life. What lighting or is it a top should i get or need? Thanks!

29gallon 11-09-2009 06:19 PM

i have a 29 gallon and ive been wanting to upgrade my filter system. What do you have running your tank. Like filter, powerheads, heater?

miataliker 11-09-2009 07:50 PM

My tanks not running right now. But i dont know. Its the stock filter and heater that comes with it. What light are you using?

miataliker 11-10-2009 10:00 PM

help?

Pasfur 11-11-2009 12:23 AM

Sorry for the delay on this. It would be very helpful if you could post some pictures of the exact equipment you purchased, including lighting, filtration, etc. There are endless possibilities, so we need to see what can be incorporated into your new setup.

From a lighting point of view, you are probably going to need more light. I will try to get the attention of another member to help with lighting. It is a weak area for me.

onefish2fish 11-11-2009 06:32 AM

you say you have a 12w bulb and a t8 bulb?
the 12w is the wattage of the bulb and the T8 is the type of bulb ( T = tubular, 8 = size )

before i answer what kind of light is best for you, what is the dementions of the tank? as of now corals arnt planned but are you going to want high light demanding species or lower? this saves buying 2 different lights.
without those questions answered im going to suggest a 4 bulb t5 setup, atleast thats what i would use. esp. on a tank this size, they run alot cooler then a halide.

wake49 11-11-2009 06:52 AM

29 gallon I am assuming is 30LX12WX18D.

I am a HUGE fan of T5HO lighting. I have tried Metal Halide, Compact Flourescent and T5HO.

If you want corals, you'll want one of these three.

Power Compact (click the word for a link) have a good output for the power they consume.

T5HO lighting usually doesn't offer as much wattage as PC, but you have more options because of the amount of bulbs. You can use different combinations of bulbs in order to achieve diferent colors in the tank. You can usually buy units with 6 bulbs, but not many are offered in the 30" size.

Metal Halide are by far the most expensive to buy, run and maintain. They run hot, the bulbs cost anywhere from $65 - $100, and they usually require external ballasts to run. The ballasts are sensitive, and if they get dropped or knocked around, they malfunction. You can usually turn your heater down if you are running MH. They do put out the most brilliant light of any fixture. These lamps produce the best Ultraviolet Light, which is neccassary for coral growth.

With all that being said, what kind of corals are you planning to keep? If you are starting with Softies and some LPS, Power Compact or T5HO are a good lamp. If you plan on eventually going SPS, then I suggest Metal Halide. Water Quality is a very vital parameter in keeping Corals. Your pH, Nitrate, Magnesium, Calcium and Alkalinity must all be within good levels. You can read more about this here.

I personally keep LPS, softies, crabs, snails, a clam, shrimp and two anemones in my 150 gallon reef, under a 12 bulb Nova Extreme Pro T5 unit. I am happy with its light output.

You can also check ebay for units. I bought my unit from my LFS, and would've saved a few if I ebayed it...

miataliker 11-11-2009 09:57 PM

Alright. Thanks alot wake49. Thanks for the help. So ive come to a conclusion. Im just gonna get the POWER COMPACT for now and upgrade it to a pro later. Thanks for all the help.