Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   29 Gallon Tank - Jack Dempsey Stocking Ideas? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/29-gallon-tank-jack-dempsey-stocking-31981/)

enragingchaos 11-09-2009 12:45 PM

29 Gallon Tank - Jack Dempsey Stocking Ideas?

I am currently cycling a 29 gallon tank. I have a pleco and Jack Dempsey in a 10 gallon that I'm moving to the 29 gallon. (Jack Dempsey was smaller when I got it and is now ready to move into a bigger tank.

I was wanting some stocking ideas. Is there really anything I can do? Other than add another Jack Dempsey?

I want to have more than the one fish but there aren't really any fish I can put with the Jack is there?

Any input/suggestions/comments/advice is VERY appreciated!

Thanks Guys and Gals,
Enraging Chaos

mollies 11-09-2009 01:23 PM

What kind of pleco? and if im not mistaken JD's get to big for your 29 gallon. and way to big for a ten. If you have a comon pleco you will want a 75 gallon or larger. and for The JD needs atleast a 55 gallon. I wouldnt add any more fish. IHMO

enragingchaos 11-09-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies (Post 271318)
What kind of pleco? and if im not mistaken JD's get to big for your 29 gallon. and way to big for a ten. If you have a comon pleco you will want a 75 gallon or larger. and for The JD needs atleast a 55 gallon. I wouldnt add any more fish. IHMO

It IS a common pleco. I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it or I would have gotten a bristle nose or some otos.

mollies 11-09-2009 01:35 PM

K Do you plan on upgrading down the road to a bigger tank? You should in a couple of months need a 55 at the least. Or maybe rehome your fish and get smaller fish for you size of tank. IMHO

enragingchaos 11-09-2009 02:48 PM

I may need to find a home. I don't really have the budget/space for a 55 gallon.

Even then, one 55 gallon tank, only one Jack Dempsey?

mollies 11-09-2009 02:54 PM

In a 55 you could keep all the fish you have and add one more JD. The only reason i say to rehome them is because they get way to big for a 30 gallon Sorry. if you would like help with stoking your tank we would be glad to assist you.

yippee 11-11-2009 03:58 AM

I would say a minimum of a 75 gallon for the JD, Pleco, and another JD.

If you just kept the two fish you could probably get away with a 55.

Angel079 11-11-2009 08:50 AM

From what I read here from you so far; I'd honestly suggest to sell JD and maybe even the pleco. Then inform yourself what works with your water and tank size and re-stock with SMALL fish.
Even if you came across extra $ I can't see you really being happy with a 75g and 2 JDs.