Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   DYI: Think it throught till the end! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/dyi-think-throught-till-end-31906/)

Angel079 11-08-2009 07:15 AM

DYI: Think it throught till the end!

:frustrated:
..and here's what happens when you don't think your DYI project throught till the end....

Before I went wood-shopping, I measured an exiting cabinet and the height of the tank, I did come up with a height of 30" for the board I needed.
Now the board I found where 34" and I bought those for the sides and a little thicker once for the top & bottom piece...

So far so good, but here's where the plan went wrong :|

Since I hadn't handled saw's before I then decided 4" what the heck I will leave the boards as they are...HOWEVER I didn't consider the part where the ticker top & bottom board added more height to it all so that in the end I was winding up with a 38" tall stand AND then the tank on top of it :crazy:

While I can reach the hood to open, feed & do water exchanges, unless I have a lil step ladder now I will NOT to any plant maintenance cause I myself am only 5' 2" so not exactly the type of tall person for a stand like this :-?

I mean it looks cool and its actually a great height as far as watching inmates...just the maintenance part....so just keep in mind when you wanna built something too to consider your own height :lol:

Fishin Pole 11-08-2009 07:26 AM

Well that sorta does stink, but you can take your excellent woodworking abilities and build yourself a little step stool to aid you in maintainance........Good Luck!

Romad 11-08-2009 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 270622)
Well that sorta does stink, but you can take your excellent woodworking abilities and build yourself a little step stool to aid you in maintainance........Good Luck!

Good one :-D

aunt kymmie 11-08-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 270622)

FishinPole has given you a great idea! We short people are challenged. Which is why I have four step stools hidden throughout my house. At first I was really bummed when I realized I had to get on a step stool to reach the bottom of my tank but now I realize the height is perfect as far as viewing. You can not give up on having a planted tank. Planted tanks are awesome.
At least you're going to be able to build a step stool out of wood to match your stand. I wish I knew how to do that! When I'm done with futzing with my tank I have to hide the ugly looking step stool!

Angel079 11-08-2009 08:33 AM

I'm not short, 5ft is short, I'm 5' TWO :-)

Yea I figured I'd get the wood scraps together today and built me a lil stool (so it'll all match, don't wanna buy one of these plastic things). Which actually would come in handy in my kitchen too, cause I can't reach the upper shelves on non of my cabinets neither LOL

I know it'll create a lil hassle for maintenance, BUT I think as far as watching it the height is PERFECT, after all you can seldomly have BOTH in life lol

Twistersmom 11-08-2009 09:44 AM

Be sure to post some pictures of your new wood work, the matching step stool.:-)

Angel079 11-08-2009 06:20 PM

Twistermom, you'll be so upset with me now....I did indeed CREATE something this AM....it makes a PERFECT piece of art in my yard now as a mini-bench, that's exactly how it looks :-)

Then I got tired and just bought a ugly-plastic thing for the moment....I have serious troubles with my knee again and couldn't take fussing out there any longer today...but I do wanna have something nice out of the same wood, just not today....but hey I have a bench for toddlers in the yard now LMAO

Twistersmom 11-08-2009 06:31 PM

At least you tried! You will get it right next time. All the kids in the neighborhood, are going to be eying that new bench!

Fishin Pole 11-08-2009 06:35 PM

It sounds like your own your way to the only children's daycare with a beautiful aquarium in it!............PLease be careful with step stool......would hate to hear a story about you and an unfortune accident with your new tank...did you start to consider species you would like to keep?.....

Angel079 11-08-2009 06:45 PM

:-) yea that's why it's outside as a country style piece of art LOL Didn't strike me as stable enough and I didn't wanna tip on it and the "hang on" to my tank and pull it all down...nawww...that's what God made stores for right!?

Actually no I didn't yet and I'm kinda scared to try to make a decision LOL but I will need to consider soon NOT ONLY what I want BUT where the heck I'd get it from out here :-)