Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Green tiger barb help please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/green-tiger-barb-help-please-318993/)

hess9921 12-17-2013 02:04 AM

Green tiger barb help please

I started with 7 tiger barbs 4 regular and 3 green. I had them in a 20g tank and they fought till there was one left . so i returned him and got 8 baby green barbs and a 40g tank. i started the cycle on my 40g (fishless with ace ammonia) while they grew up in the 20g. my tank finished cycling yesterday so i switched them over today. Now the bad. they dont seem to like the current as i have a 2 aquaclear 70. i turned one off and they seem to be better but wont eat. do they like current or no. also should i but a air stone in. my water is hard ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm and nitrate is 20ppm from only being able to change 80 percent of the water. can i add any other fish into this 40g tank with 8 green barbs or no. thanks

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/i...#ixzz2niGkAISJ

henningc 12-17-2013 05:48 PM

Well a little current should not bother them, most likely reestablishing the pecking order is the issue.

Tiger barbs are mean little snots and need to be with fish that can hold their own. Corys are usually fine. They should leave ram or krib cichlids alone. Most loaches can avoid them and plecos don't seem to get their attention. Golden Wonder Killies can hold their own with them and so can rosy reds.

hess9921 12-17-2013 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by henningc (Post 3601697)
Well a little current should not bother them, most likely reestablishing the pecking order is the issue.

Tiger barbs are mean little snots and need to be with fish that can hold their own. Corys are usually fine. They should leave ram or krib cichlids alone. Most loaches can avoid them and plecos don't seem to get their attention. Golden Wonder Killies can hold their own with them and so can rosy reds.

Yes i am having a big issue right now they are chasing each other all over i threw in a few more decorations for hiding spots now my tank looks stupid. they do not seem interested in eating. also my ammonia went to .25ppm nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 20ppm should i do a water change for .25ppm or let the mini cycle go maybe thanks.

moghedan 12-19-2013 05:01 PM

The whole point of having tiger barbs is that they are very lively and chase each other. I always wanted some, and finally got some. Now, I could give them all away and never miss them. They just do not have the colors you hoped for, no matter how well treated.

If you have fewer than 8-10, they start chasing other fish too. Even then, some individuals are just chasers.

Bottom dwellers do ok with them. Even an otocinclus can usually avoid them with a little cover.

They harry even large Rainbowfish to death. Avoid all anabantids and angelfish. Just avoid anything described as "Peaceful" or that has long fins... or anything smaller than 2 inches.

Even small Cichlids will not tolerate their nipping and will straight beat the scales off the Tiger Barb... I had some kribs kill a 4.5inch tiger barb for getting too close to the nest.

hess9921 12-20-2013 12:49 AM

Yeah i understand what you mean by never missing them but we have had them for about 3 months now and are about 2 inchs. my fiancee absolutely loves them. i had them in a 20 until they out grew it. they were bright bright green always out looking at me when i get up they got excited i could put my hand on the glass and they would nudge the glass. now they are in the 40 and they hide and lost the color. now to my main question here i really really like the electric yellow cichlid. i was thing to put 3 males in or maybe 3 females. i dont want to mix do to if one would nest for babys she might kill any barb that comes close to it. whats your opinion

rsskylight04 12-20-2013 04:29 AM

If your tiger barbs are hiding, I would worry that maybe somthing is wrong. They should be activly swimming all over, hiding is unusual behaviuor for them.
Make sure ammonia and nitrite are very close to 0.
Good luck

hess9921 12-20-2013 08:38 AM

Test everyday. Water is perfect. They were like that in my 20g for about a month. They are werid fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

fish monger 12-20-2013 09:41 AM

First of all, my opinion is that you need much more cover. Plants, natural or artificial, would provide cover and improve the overall appearance of the tank. The cichlids would most likely kill the barbs. if not from injury then harassment. The cichlids themselves will have a definite pecking order and will not behave in a calm or relaxing manner. If bite and flight appeal to you, then they're an interesting fish. Best of luck.

rsskylight04 12-20-2013 01:45 PM

glad that your water is good.

Tiger barbs are extremely beautiful fish and have a lot of personality. This is only just my humble opinion, and others would disagree, but I think tigerbarbs are one of only a very few fish that might survive with the yellow african cīchlids . The barbs are so hyperactive that attacks from the cichlids might be taken in stride; the cichlids are so aggressive that they MIGHT take nips from the barbs as a sort of sport and not get too stressed. I would,however, reccommend extreme vigilance- if the cichlids get too stressed by the overactive barbs, they will kill them, or if the barbs get in too many nips on the cichlids they become susceptable to fungus and disease.
Very interesting setup you have! Please keep us posted on how it works out.
Good luck.

hess9921 12-23-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsskylight04 (Post 3612930)
Tiger barbs are extremely beautiful fish and have a lot of personality. This is only just my humble opinion, and others would disagree, but I think tigerbarbs are one of only a very few fish that might survive with the yellow african cīchlids . The barbs are so hyperactive that attacks from the cichlids might be taken in stride; the cichlids are so aggressive that they MIGHT take nips from the barbs as a sort of sport and not get too stressed. I would,however, reccommend extreme vigilance- if the cichlids get too stressed by the overactive barbs, they will kill them, or if the barbs get in too many nips on the cichlids they become susceptable to fungus and disease.
Very interesting setup you have! Please keep us posted on how it works out.
Good luck.

when you say interesting what do you mean? ok so here is what has happend barbs where out all day yesterday i look up the yellow labs and where voted top three least aggressive of the cichlids. i have added three female atleast the guy at my lfs said they are female. also my fiance had to have these red platy. lfs said they will stay to them self and be fine and at most when i had the fish they will be attacked and give my cichlids and tiger barbs bonding time :-? so say and watched them all day all is going well perfect couldnt believe it. not its not time turned out the lights all is good. No walked by the tank and cichlids are going nuts up and down the side of the tank all other fish were fine. checked my water all is 0 but my ammonia 20 percent water change 0 ammonia. turn the light back off labs still going nut up and down. turn the light on one platy missing. finally turned the light off and will let you know whats up in the morning.