Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What happend so far (pictures) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-happend-so-far-pictures-31856/)

Angel079 11-07-2009 06:57 AM

What happend so far (pictures)

4 Attachment(s)
Here's what happened over the past few days, I started out with a bunch wood and a ugly tank that had hoods I didn't like at all (and they I didn't find sufficient).

I started by building pretty much a box fitting tight around the top of the tank, which then got stained on the outside and heavy duty water proof white paint on the inside. The actual lid that goes on top is done as well (just not yet screwed together).

The Stand is pretty much a super simple DYI shelf which I routed the edges and gave a clear coat just to protect the wood from any water that may drip while I work on the tank.

Last but not least a picture of the "new tank" and its stand.

A carpenter will prop turn green now and see all kinds mistakes I made, but I think for never ever having built nothing before and not having used the kinda power tools needed here before, I think I done a pretty ok'ish job on it all so far.

Oh yea and my pump arrived yesterday as well (Eheim 2213, my fav).

Fishin Pole 11-07-2009 07:24 AM

very nice job!..........stand and hood look great!................Now the fun part comes!..........wish you the best of luck!

Angel079 11-07-2009 07:48 AM

Yea plants are ordered and should arrive mid next week. Then some cycling and I can think about what fish I want now :-)

aunt kymmie 11-07-2009 08:04 AM

That's awesome. I think you did a great job. I wish I was able to make "stuff".
What type fish are you considering? How fun!

Angel079 11-07-2009 08:13 AM

I just didn't like the standard hoods and wanted this 'picture' in my head....I think it looks nice all being nature colord wood rather then plastic & metal.
I hadn't gotten as far as fish yet will think about it while the tank cycles :-) Thou I am limited kinda with a water KH1 pH 6.8, can hardly get any softer then that LOL

bearwithfish 11-07-2009 08:17 AM

well ...... i have to say BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!!! wow that looks incredible!!

Romad 11-07-2009 08:19 AM

Great job. I like how unique it is and all that storage is a bonus.

Angel079 11-07-2009 08:27 AM

:oops: thanks for y'alls feedback, its not perfect by no means, but thanks for being kind anyways :lol:
Its actually based off the old Juwel tank hoods (for those who remember).

I wanted the storage for pumps, foods all that good stuff and I think what I got now will be plenty enough :-)

Byron 11-07-2009 10:31 AM

You should be in the furniture trade, very nice work. My only suggestion would be to brace the stand across the back. When that tank is filled, there will be considerable weight and it won't take much to move it sideways. At least that's what appearts the case from the photos.

Twistersmom 11-07-2009 10:45 AM

Beautiful! I love the look of natural wood. Job well done!