Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Howdy all! A little help from you pros!? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/howdy-all-little-help-you-pros-31846/)

WalkinH2o 11-06-2009 10:50 PM

Howdy all! A little help from you pros!?

Thought I'd finally say hi to the community here after lurking around for a few weeks. Just set up a 37 gal FW and I'm in the last stages of cycling it. So far I have a Peacock Cichlid (I think?), a Senegal bichir and a couple Synodontis Cats. Been monitoring my water and doing pwc's (about 20%) every 3 days or so. So far so good! I think I'm on the right track but I already want to change out my gravel substrate for sand. I also bought some nice Texas Holey rock that I'm waiting to be delivered. I guess I decided I want to go more the Cichlid route and I already ichin' for a 75 gal tank but I think I'll wait until this first tank is stabilized. Eventually I'd like to set up a 75 with the Cichlids and convert the 37 to a community tank with something that can handle my high PH, hard water tap water. Any suggestions that can handle the 8.0PH tap water (I really don't want to get into trying to constantly change the PH and from what I've read so far most people don't recommend it!). My immediate question is... should I wait for the tank to completely cycle before changing out the gravel to sand (16 grit blasting sand probably since I can find much around me so far and I don't want really fine sand)?

Thanks all!

Sorry for being so long-winded on my first post!

mollies 11-06-2009 11:32 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum. You should change out 50 percent then the next week the 50 percent. any time you want before the cycle. It will put you in to a cycle any way.

dramaqueen 11-07-2009 07:47 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

aunt kymmie 11-07-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkinH2o (Post 270002)
Thought I'd finally say hi to the community here after lurking around for a few weeks. Just set up a 37 gal FW and I'm in the last stages of cycling it. So far I have a Peacock Cichlid (I think?), a Senegal bichir and a couple Synodontis Cats. Been monitoring my water and doing pwc's (about 20%) every 3 days or so. So far so good! I think I'm on the right track but I already want to change out my gravel substrate for sand. I also bought some nice Texas Holey rock that I'm waiting to be delivered. I guess I decided I want to go more the Cichlid route and I already ichin' for a 75 gal tank but I think I'll wait until this first tank is stabilized. Eventually I'd like to set up a 75 with the Cichlids and convert the 37 to a community tank with something that can handle my high PH, hard water tap water. Any suggestions that can handle the 8.0PH tap water (I really don't want to get into trying to constantly change the PH and from what I've read so far most people don't recommend it!). My immediate question is... should I wait for the tank to completely cycle before changing out the gravel to sand (16 grit blasting sand probably since I can find much around me so far and I don't want really fine sand)?

Thanks all!

Sorry for being so long-winded on my first post!

Welcome to the forum! Glad you decided to join us. :-)
When you say the last stages of your cycle...what exactly are your water parameters?
Swapping out gravel for sand doesn't have to throw your tank into a cycle if done properly. You can put a large amount of your gravel into the foot of a nylon hose and remove all the gravel and replace with sand, then set the nylon bag of gravel on top of the sand to seed the new substrate. If your tank isn't cycled there's no need to do this and you can do a 50/50 as Mollies suggests.

I live just down the way from you and have that same darn tap water. I've been able to keep my ph at 7.8 with lots of driftwood in planted tanks. A lot of fish in our local LFS(s) have been captive bred in our same crappy water. I've had no problems keeping loaches, barbs, catfish, captive bred discus and rams.

Twistersmom 11-07-2009 09:37 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum! Glad you decided to join us!

I also have a ph of 8. I avoid any fish that are said to be sensitive to high ph, and have had no problems.
Another options, if you are looking for something different, their are many brackish fish that thrive in a high ph.

WalkinH2o 11-07-2009 01:34 PM

[quote=aunt kymmie;270105]Welcome to the forum! Glad you decided to join us. :-)
When you say the last stages of your cycle...what exactly are your water parameters?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far! Water parameters as of right now...
78 degrees
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 80

My Nitrite as been dropping the past week or so and the Nitrate really shot up the past couple days. I'm doing a 20% pwc today!

Just got my Holey Rock today... SWEET! Now I'm on the hunt for some sand and will probably switch out my gravel the next week or two. Then I'll see where my water is at and start thinking about adding a new tank resident or 2. Cichlids for sure because of my high pH tap water. Any recommendations? Something colorful that can do well in the 37 for 4-6 months until I can get the 75 up and running.

Thanks again... you've all been very helpful! :-)

willow 11-14-2009 06:20 AM

hello and welcome.
i hope you'll be as happy here as i am.:-D