Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Injured Dwarf Gourami?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/injured-dwarf-gourami-318449/)

fishmama7 12-15-2013 08:56 PM

Injured Dwarf Gourami??

Hi All! This is my first post on this fine site, so hello! Well, I am a fish enthusiast! I have several tanks- both fresh and salt. In one of my tanks, I have a couple fish which includes a single dwarf gourami. Recently, my gourami had some weird "flare-up"; one morning when I woke everyone up, I noticed he couldn't swim right. If he moved slowly, he swam fine. If he tried to swim fast, it was almost as if he would get locked into a position with his body curved- he would then spiral down towards the bottom of the tank very rapidly, instead of swimming forward. Oddly, he snapped out of it in a couple hours. Weeks went by without any problems. But about 3 or 4 days ago, it happened again. He has been unable to swim right and has been hiding in his little spot. I have been hand feeding him. I inspected him closely for any sore, lesions, or other obvious injury. I found nothing! He looks fine! I wonder if this could be some sort of back/spinal or lateral line injury? This afternoon, he seems to be slowly improving. He is now out and about, but still having problems with his movement and is still "locking up". Appetite is okay. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I am devastated!

Sylverclaws 12-18-2013 11:10 AM

Sorry it took a while to get a reply, that happens sometimes, especially if you don't give enough information. We need some more information before we can properly answer as this reaction can actually be caused by a few things other than injury.

What size is your tank?

What are the other fish you have with him?

What is the temp set at?

Filter? What kind and how powerful?

What do you feed them?

Plants?

How often do you clean and what kind of cleaning do you do(do you vacuum the gravel and how much, how much water do you remove, do you clean the filter...never fully clean out the filter unless you save the cartridge/sponge in tank water)?

How long has the tank been set up? If you didn't cycle it completely(which takes 4-8+ weeks to do right) toxins can easily do this and kill your fish.

Do you have a water testing kit other than strips? Knowing your water stats(ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, as well as hardness and PH levels) will give us a better idea of what could be going on. Strips and pet shops saying "It's fine" are unfortunately not accurate, we need the numbers to know what's off, if anything.

Stats being off or fluctuating can cause it, especially if there are toxins in the water.

If your filter is too powerful it could have slammed him into the wall and injured him.

Airborne things like perfumes, lysol, fabreeze and things like that can sometimes cause this.

henningc 12-26-2013 06:06 PM

More information would help, but I think it sounds like swim badder disorder. Sometimes gouramis get what essentually is a respertory infection in the lybryanth organ. This can occur at any time when there is a large difference in air verses water temps. When the fish get stressed later, they show distress from the ongoing infection.

Hope I am wrong.