Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Question about shrimp, crabs, and snails (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/question-about-shrimp-crabs-snails-3184/)

dave12678 02-08-2007 07:58 PM

Question about shrimp, crabs, and snails

I have a 4 crabs, 2 snails, and 0 shrimp. My question is how many should I have and what kind of shrimp are reef safe. I have some coral, a clam, 2 tangs, 2 clowns, goby and a damsel. I really need to get this tank cleaner. I am going to start water changes either this weekend or next due to the clam problem. For the most part the tank is way better then it was. The snails and crabs are cleaning the tank pretty well but not great. The back is pretty dirty. I plan on adding coral in 3 weeks after I figure out what kind of lighting I have. I would love to get a shrimp but I don't want him attacking the fish or vice versa. What do you guys think? Thanks guys

usmc121581 02-09-2007 04:59 AM

I moved this thread into the Saltwater invert section. First we need to know your tank specs. And by chance what are your water parameters. As for the shrimp you can go with a cleaner or blood shrimp. I have both in my tank and they never attack the fish. They clean the fish but never attacked them.

Lupin 02-09-2007 05:07 AM

Posted to remove double forum glitch. First post retracted.:)

dave12678 02-09-2007 03:23 PM

The tank is 55g the water read outs from 2/4/07 were:

ph = 8.2

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 0

Phosphate = 0

Calcium = 30 drops kind of high so we lowered the amount we added.

So should I look into getting more cleaners for my tank or is 6 enough?

thanks guys

caferacermike 02-09-2007 04:13 PM

I have 300 hermits, 200 snails, 6 shrimp, 9 cukes, and 1 sea hare in a 75g.

For shrimp I'd look at the skunk cleaners or fire (AKA, cherry, blood) shrimp as was mentioned. I keep sarons and really like them as well.

Anything but coral banded. Be wary of arrows as well.

dave12678 02-09-2007 04:22 PM

So I guess I better get a few more then. Are shrimp hard to keep? I wont get a lot of the if they cost a lot. I just would like to see one in my tank. THanks again guys

Melissa 02-09-2007 07:02 PM

well i heard that the rule of thumb is 1 crab and 1 snail per gallon of water. Now we dont have that but still dont have a problem.

caferacermike 02-09-2007 08:25 PM

Shrimp are not that difficult to keep unless they kill each other. I'd only plan on 2-3 in a 55g. I forgot to mention peppermint shrimp which will also eat aptasia.

Honorable mention as well would be the pistol shrimps. They will keep you awake at night snapping their claws and sounding like a gun fight. They stay small and live in your sand bed. their requirements are a tad different and thus you could keep one and still have 2-3 other shrimp.

There are also "nano" shrimp. 1/2" or smaller that you'd never see again in a 55g.

Rogergolf66 02-15-2007 10:55 PM

this question is for mike. I have a conection to get blue legs how many would you put in a

reef tank 75 gallon.

And how many would you put in FOWLR tank 90 gal?

White98SVT 02-23-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caferacermike
Anything but coral banded.

Why would you say no coral banded? I have one in my reef tank with no problems.

For reference, I also have a cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, and a peppermint shrimp.