Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   replacement bulbs t12 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/replacement-bulbs-t12-31831/)

Jerryed 11-06-2009 05:41 PM

replacement bulbs t12

Hello again :)

I'm looking to up the wattage on my planted tank a bit. Currently have a 20w t12 bulb in the hood. Looking to see if a higher wattage bulb will fit this fixture. Its a 24" bulb bi-pin.

Anyone have any suggestions?

WisFish 11-06-2009 06:28 PM

It really depends on the ballast that comes with the fixture. They are typically made for a certain wattage in mind. I know my fixture will only take 32 watt T-8 bulbs for example. The all-glass twin tube model however can use different wattage and sized bulbs. So if you still have an owners manual for the fixture, I'd look at that. You may get lucky looking online for information on the fixture if you know who made it and the model.

Byron 11-07-2009 10:43 AM

T12 and T8 fluorescent tubes come in standard wattages for the tube length, e.g., 48 inch tubes are 40 watts. Some manufacturers have lower-wattage tubes, e.g., Zoo Med's 48 inch are 32 watts. This is an energy-saving thing, less wattage = less energy but the tubes are made (the coatings inside) to produce comparable light intensity as the 40w. So if your fixture is a certain length, the tubes that will fit will be one wattage (or comparable as mentioned). Plus the info that WisFish mentioned, follow the max on the fixture.

What size is the tank (gallons, plus length)? And what type of plants are you wanting? Might have some suggestions after knowing this.

Byron.

Jerryed 11-07-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 270173)
T12 and T8 fluorescent tubes come in standard wattages for the tube length, e.g., 48 inch tubes are 40 watts. Some manufacturers have lower-wattage tubes, e.g., Zoo Med's 48 inch are 32 watts. This is an energy-saving thing, less wattage = less energy but the tubes are made (the coatings inside) to produce comparable light intensity as the 40w. So if your fixture is a certain length, the tubes that will fit will be one wattage (or comparable as mentioned). Plus the info that WisFish mentioned, follow the max on the fixture.

What size is the tank (gallons, plus length)? And what type of plants are you wanting? Might have some suggestions after knowing this.

Byron.

tank is 30 gallon (36" long) I currently have 1 amazon sword, 3 hornwort and 1 Java fern with various seedlings of the hornwort and java fern in the tank. I just want to provide a little more light because I think my sword is starving. Fertilizer (seachem) not helping much. Leaves are green but new leaves are growing in "thinner" than existing ones, nearly transparent. Don't think it is co2 issue since the other plants are thriving.

With a 20w florescent inthere im getting .7-.8 watts per gallon...I bit low methinks.

Byron 11-07-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerryed (Post 270368)
tank is 30 gallon (36" long) I currently have 1 amazon sword, 3 hornwort and 1 Java fern with various seedlings of the hornwort and java fern in the tank. I just want to provide a little more light because I think my sword is starving. Fertilizer (seachem) not helping much. Leaves are green but new leaves are growing in "thinner" than existing ones, nearly transparent. Don't think it is co2 issue since the other plants are thriving.

With a 20w florescent inthere im getting .7-.8 watts per gallon...I bit low methinks.

I have a 33g tank, 36 inches long, and one 20w full spectrum tube (happens to be a Life-Glo). I had no trouble with swords. I also used Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive twice a week.

Swords are heavy feeders, and primarily from the roots as most species are bog plants in their habitat. I tried Nutrafin Plant-Gro sticks, one in the gravel beside each of the larger swords in my 90g and 115g tanks. The increased growth was astounding. You might want to try that. The Plant-Gro are less expensive than Flourish tabs, and supposedly last a year. I added mine in March and within 2-3 months could see vast improvement. I cut back from twice to once with the Flourish liquid. So either method should help your sword.

Byron.