Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   CO2 and Carbon filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/co2-carbon-filter-31809/)

jmowbray 11-06-2009 08:30 AM

CO2 and Carbon filter

I recently just started growing live plants in my tank, and have a DIY injection system for CO2. Will placing the black carbon in my filter remove all of the CO2 I'm injecting into the tank?

Set up:
  • 25 gallon freshwater planted tank
  • Marineland Emperor 400 Bio Wheel Power filter
  • 5 fancy guppies
  • 7 Neon Tetras
  • 1 Pleco
  • 1 Glass Shrimp

WisFish 11-06-2009 09:28 AM

Not that I'm aware of. But Carbon does remove trace elements that the plants could use. Generally speaking, carbon and live plants do not go well together. The plants will act as the carbon to absorb anything that might be deemed bad for fish.

fi3nd666 11-12-2009 12:24 AM

are there any filters that don't use carbon that aren't incredibly expensive?

1077 11-12-2009 04:49 AM

You could always cut a slit with razor blade along the bottom of the cartridges and dump out the carbon.I might look at purchasing a canister filter for the 25 gal. The Emperor 400 is a bit much for the 25 gal in my view and depending on how high the water level is kept,, The Co2 could be driven off with excessive surface movement. If the water level is kept up to the very top, then the surface agitation wouldn't be as bad.
A canister filter rated for say,30gal would allow you to place the return flow from the filter far below the water line and thus be more helpful I would think with respect to plant growth by keeping surface agitation to a minimum. I am near certain the fish would not be swept round the tank as I imagine they are currently with the Emperor 400.

Byron 11-12-2009 05:09 PM

Even less expensive is a simple sponge filter. I prefer these on smaller tanks (under 50g) that are planted, since they adequately perform the only function of a filter in a planted tank, namely moving the water gently through the sponge to remove particulate matter and keep it clear. The plants do the "clean water" part of filtering.

Byron.

Angel079 11-12-2009 06:23 PM

I donno when these companies started using carbon in EVERY filter but its silly.
Here's what I'd do for you tank Foam Aquarium Filters: Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter 2 you can find these at any well selected fish stores too. Chances are you already have a air pump at home if not they're cheap too.
Your plants will thank you, your ears not listen to the bio wheel AND not to neglect the fact if you wanna restock your shrimp these are perfect filters to raise baby's for your shrimp too.
So in the end of the day all are happy and the sponges of the filter can easily be hidden away behind plants/ DW etc

1077 11-13-2009 02:30 AM

I use sponge filters in two or three tanks and they work well.Some planted tank folks claim that a little more flow than sponge filters can provide is beneficial in delivering nutrients to plants but I have grown easy ,low light plants such as crypts,anubia,and java fern with sponge filter only. Course ,,only nutrients I provided were root tabs once a month for crypts.