Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   restocking? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/restocking-31807/)

lozza 11-06-2009 07:45 AM

restocking?

Hi there, I have a 17 gallon/ 65 litre tank with 2 neons and a zebra danio. Anyway I was just wondering what you guys would advise to put in there. My zebra danio is really aggressive and tries to stop the others getting food but it has been like this for ages. Do you think I should get more zebra danios or will it reject them because of how aggressive he is? plus I'm hoping to have a balance of smaller/larger fish so are there any larger fish that are suited to my tank? the tank is about four years old and I haven't restocked it at all so the fish have gradually died off. Advice would be greatly appreciated :) thanks btw PH is 7.3 0 ammonia 0 nitrites plus I wont be restocking for a few weeks as I just lost a sick neon so I have to make sure the rest are ok.

Angel079 11-06-2009 08:08 AM

I honestly would not advise to restock the tank with fish that previously died on you.
Like your Neon's love soft water, low pH, which you don't have, so if you were to restock them guys, you're pretty much guaranteed they die on you again.
The Zebra Danio's are fine for your water, however they are extremely ACTIVE fish and are really better kept in a large tank and then as a school, simply because of your tanks size I'd not advise you to restock these neither. I had mine in a 55g.

Do you know or would you be able to test your hardness and tell us what it is?

What about the small ram chichlid would you like something like that?

lozza 11-06-2009 11:10 PM

I cant test the water but Im pretty sure the tap water here is known for being hard. Does this limit my options? My neons have survived pretty well because I bought them four years ago and only one died from visible sickness. I looked up the chichilids but I dont think Ive seen anything like them around here (I live in Australia) they could be in the specialst FS though.

mollies 11-06-2009 11:53 PM

I would not recomend any cichlids your tank is way to small for them. They need a tank of 50 gallons or more. Or some very experianced aquarist have keep them in 30 gallons. But i would not recomend it. Go with some 3 Mollies all males. 3 swordtail males.

lozza 11-12-2009 01:56 AM

Would it be over stocking to get two mollies and two platys plus maybe an otto? I've heard that mollies produce alot of waste. I really want to get guppies but I'm afraid that my zebra danio might shred their tails like he did last time I had them. Also my danio is four years old.. is this old for his species or am I expecting to have him much longer? He is really and i mean REALLY aggressive :(

mollies 11-12-2009 02:00 AM

no Just dont get female and males. Get just male or just females. yes they do prodcus a lot of wast.

lozza 11-12-2009 02:26 AM

cool thanks

1077 11-12-2009 06:37 AM

I might check the pH of the tapwater after it has set for twelve hours. I am thinking it may be much more alkaline or hard than that which you have in the tank considering that the tank is four years old. If there is too much of a difference,, I would acclimate new fish very slowly to the water in your tank.