Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   dedicated water polishing filter experiment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/dedicated-water-polishing-filter-experiment-31796/)

statenfish 11-05-2009 10:56 PM

dedicated water polishing filter experiment

i took an old rena xp4 nd filled the baskets with descending thickness filter pads. im hoping this acts a s a giant water polisher by trapping large amounts of debris.. Does this sound like a good idea or am i just wasting time? any opinions would help....

nfored 11-06-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statenfish (Post 269574)
i took an old rena xp4 nd filled the baskets with descending thickness filter pads. im hoping this acts a s a giant water polisher by trapping large amounts of debris.. Does this sound like a good idea or am i just wasting time? any opinions would help....

I think that depends, on the type of padding used, and how often you plan on cleaning it.

statenfish 11-06-2009 12:51 AM

im using a range from course to fine filter pads...i also am running an eheim 2217 and an eheim 2215...

1077 11-06-2009 01:41 AM

Would be difficult I would think to determine whether it was the eheims or the step down in density of pads that provided the benefit. Unless ,eheims were only used for circulation and contained no media.

statenfish 11-06-2009 01:08 PM

the eheims are both running with media including chemi pure.. even wit the xp4 full of filterpads it is still not as crystal clear as i hoped....i guess i have to give it tim e due to the water movement stirring up debris... the eheims are more powerful then i anticipated.

Angel079 11-06-2009 02:06 PM

That's interesting. What kinda tank do you have (plants / fish)?

I been running the Eheim 2213's in all my 55g for years with the Eheim Mech layer on the bottom, then course filter pad, then layer of Eheim Substrat pro, then fine filter pad...and I've always had super nice clear water with this combo.

statenfish 11-06-2009 02:13 PM

its a 90 gal with 2 oscars and abot 6 silver dollars. i am running the eheims with the same media setup as you..i just installed then a few days ago so im guessing it will take a few days.. im still wondering if the xp4 is gonna hava any benefit with just the filter pads and floss in it.

Angel079 11-06-2009 06:48 PM

It usually should clear up within just a few HOURS not days!

I've really never experienced anything similar in any of my tanks (and they all got eheims).

The newer one/ certain models have the built in valve system - Do you have it? Is it all the way open for 100% capacity flow?
I mean its defiantly not a overstocked tank you're dealing with there...is the output pushing properly when you put your hand infront of it?
(Just trying to think here what may cause this)

statenfish 11-06-2009 08:44 PM

its getting better already...i guess im just being picky lol i have a48 gal bowfront with two peacock bass and im running an eheim ecco and the water is sparkling clear... i think the food may be causing my a problem also..

Angel079 11-07-2009 06:59 AM

How's it looking today???

What 'special' food are you having in this tank that you think may cause this? (Feed less maybe?)