Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   my cichlids fighting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-cichlids-fighting-31783/)

ThalesthePearsei 11-05-2009 08:35 PM

my cichlids fighting

YouTube - fishfight my fish

fighttest 11-05-2009 09:12 PM

ThalesthePearsei 11-05-2009 09:17 PM

...?

molliefan09 11-05-2009 09:19 PM

did you have a question??

Calmwaters 11-06-2009 02:54 PM

Um I don't think its good to let them fight like that but I do not own Ciclids. Seems barberick like stupid cock fights and dog fights among other things.

Twistersmom 11-06-2009 03:22 PM

Do they always fight like that? Do they have areas to escape from each other?
I noticed the pleco nibbling on the fish's slime coat, while involved in the heated battle. That could lead to problems.

ThalesthePearsei 11-06-2009 07:44 PM

If you take a look at my pictures of the tank, there are a lot of hiding areas.

Not they do not always fight like that. Its quite rare.

Both fish are fine.

The pleco was not sucking on the slime coat.

I have had these fish for 3 years now and if I was not taking care of them properly, they wouldn't be alive now. I know when intervention is needed. I hate how everyone always has to complain about everything.

ThalesthePearsei 11-06-2009 07:48 PM

f you take a look at my pictures of the tank, there are a lot of hiding areas.

Not they do not always fight like that. Its quite rare.

Both fish are fine.

The pleco was not sucking on the slime coat.

You cant compare a dog or cock fight to cichlids. I did not purposely set them up to fight each other and they did not fight to the death nor did they even injure each other. If you watch the video both fishes fins are in perfect condition, no rips or tears whatsoever. The fish are fighting because it is something that they do.

I have had these fish for 3 years now and if I was not taking care of them properly, they wouldn't be alive now. I know when intervention is needed. I hate how everyone always has to complain about everything.

Twistersmom 11-06-2009 07:48 PM

I was not complaining, just concerned. Sounds like you have everything under control. Good for you.

molliefan09 11-06-2009 07:56 PM

no one is complaining.....we all here are fish lovers. i cant speak for everyone on this matter but only for myself. i am an all around avid animal lover,especially pitbulls, i work at an animal hospital as a veterinary technician and to be the strong advocate i am to stop dog fighting....or anykind of animal fighting it disturbs me to see that you seemingly got enjoyment of posting a video of your fish fighting and from what i did see of the video you did nothing to stop it....whether or not they are ok.....but, as twistersmom said you seem to have it ll under control and i am pleased to hear that your fish are still in good health and you obviously take great care of them to of have them as long as you have.....animal fighting is just a very touchy subject to me...