Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Powerhead? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/powerhead-31776/)

JerseyBird97 11-05-2009 06:36 PM

Powerhead?

My oscars are getting big and I noticed they're getting "gaspy" perhaps not enough aeration? I was thinking about adding a powerhead. Powerhead VS bubbler I'd perfer the powerhead for a natural look. Opinions are welcome and needed on is this an accurate desicion as well what brands and size or any other advice. THANKS

HotPleco 11-05-2009 10:16 PM

A Powerhead with Venturi input will easily outdue a Bubbler with putting Oxygen into the aquarium.

I'd go with a powerhead hook airline into it, to put Oxygen into the aquarium :)

Lupin 11-05-2009 11:37 PM

The surface agitation allows gas exchange by dispersing the CO2. I'd certainly go with powerheads rather than a bubbler although even bubblers are useful in some situations. If you do not have a generator, invest in a battery operated airpump, extra packs of batteries, tubing and airstones aside from getting your new powerhead.

1077 11-06-2009 03:46 AM

Were it me, (and it ain't) I would maybe consider adding more filtration for the two Oscars in addition to the Eheim classic you have unless it is in the size range of the Eheim 2128. The Oscars will continue to grow and would appreciate filter or filters, that can move six to eight times the number of gallons the tank holds each hour. 75x6 is 450 gal per hour. Lowering the water level in the tank may also provide a bit more oxygen exchange in addition to airstones,bubblers ,etc.

statenfish 11-06-2009 02:28 PM

what size tank? my oscars are getting big as well... i run an eheim classic 2215 and a 2217 as well as an xp4 set up as a water polisher containing only descening sizes of filter pads and floss..i also have two large bubble disks. all the filters use spray bars to assure surface aggitiation.

JerseyBird97 11-06-2009 05:49 PM

What do you guys think of this one?

Maxi-Jet Powerhead

statenfish 11-06-2009 08:49 PM

id definatly go with the airstones fist...if you are really low on oxygen levels all a powerhead will do is circulate oxygen deprived water around the tank

HotPleco 11-06-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statenfish (Post 269969)
id definatly go with the airstones fist...if you are really low on oxygen levels all a powerhead will do is circulate oxygen deprived water around the tank

Only if you don't put a Venturi on it :-?

JerseyBird97 11-07-2009 07:22 AM

so I can attach any air pump to a powerhead or only certain types?

JerseyBird97 11-07-2009 04:57 PM

I went with an Ehime wide output for now... we'll see what happens