We have had our Aquarium for about a month. We cycled the tank and had the starter fish and now we have cichlids. The nitrites are really high right now and I have been trying for about a week to reduce them. We used Biospira before we added the fish. I have been putting in Prime everyday for about a week which is what the petstore recommened. I have also changed the water several times and once changed almost 75% of the water. I added Stress zyme when I did that. I have also added Ammonia lock to reduce the ammonia levels. They aren't all that high though. The Nitrite levels are still way too high and I am afraid that the fish will die. I have a 55 gallon tank with 4 cichlids and 2 algae eaters. I have also reduced how much I have been feeding them. I am new to all of this and I don't know what I need to do. HELP! I appreciate any advice!
Re: Need help!!
Now i think the problem you have here is a un cycled tank, which is very bad for chichlids.
Also, another problem is the ammonia lock thingy that you said you use, dont use this as it will starve the bacteria of ammonia and the bacteria will die and in the end killing your fish.
Also you havent given us enough information, can you tell us what chichlids specifically and what algae eater, im worried about the algae eater as they might be Chinese Algae eater which are no good.
I am not sure what type they are. It is the only kind that the pet store had and they didn't specify. Not sure on the algae eaters either. They said that they would live good with the cichlids though. Before we put the cichlids in I checked the levels and the nitrites were low. The pet store told us it was ok to go ahead and put them in. They seem to be acting ok but I just want to head off the problem before it gets too bad.
hmm well in my rule book,
#1 Never listen to your lfs.
the other rules dont matter
There are many many many different types of chichlids, i think it is one of the most diverse species of fish! please take some pictures, and do big water changes since most chichlids are fragile when it comes to that
Also im pretty positive the algae eaters are Chinese Algae eaters. Please return them if you can since they are agressive and the do grow quite big. They will probably not eat algae when they are older and will eat the slime coat off other fish which makes the other fish's immune system weak.
No caps, Musho.
I'd like to suggest you buy your own test kit instead of letting the lfs do that.:) To be honest, your lfs will only try to ripped off your cash which most lfs will do anyway. Any detectable level of nitrites is dangerous to the fish. Doing a 10% daily water change will definitely help rectify your problem.
I tried to upload some pictures so you could see what kind they are but I can't get them to upload for some reason. I am about to go out to dinner with hubby and go to the store. I will get him to help me when we get home. Thanks for all the replys :)
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.