Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   To bubble or not to bubble? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/bubble-not-bubble-3170/)

zen 02-08-2007 12:11 PM

To bubble or not to bubble?

Hello comrades. I've only just begun my cycling. I've got a submerged power filter and I was wondering how necessary the bubbles are that arise when I attach the air tube. If some air is indeed necessary, can I squeeze the tube air valve just enough so only the required air intake takes place? (much more quite that way).
My problem is that the filter seems to make more noise than I had initially expected. When I unplug the air valve however, the noise falls down to the operation of the machine alone (which is much less noisy).
Apologies in advance for the clearly amateur question but I suppose we must all start somewhere :? thanks in advance.

joeshmoe 02-08-2007 02:36 PM

Re: To bubble or not to bubble?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zen
Hello comrades. I've only just begun my cycling. I've got a submerged power filter and I was wondering how necessary the bubbles are that arise when I attach the air tube. If some air is indeed necessary, can I squeeze the tube air valve just enough so only the required air intake takes place? (much more quite that way).
My problem is that the filter seems to make more noise than I had initially expected. When I unplug the air valve however, the noise falls down to the operation of the machine alone (which is much less noisy).
Apologies in advance for the clearly amateur question but I suppose we must all start somewhere :? thanks in advance.

the bubbles are very i important. you need the bubbles to irritate the surface of the water to keep the oxygen lvl for the fish to breath.

zen 02-08-2007 03:14 PM

One further question. How long would the bubbles have to stay out for serious problems to occur in the tank. For example, would any fish die of there were no bubbles for 1, 2, 5, or 24 hours? Thanks again for the help joeshmoe.

jones57742 02-08-2007 06:19 PM

I may can be of some help here with an explanation of several basic tenements.

I am unfortunately not familiar with a "submerged power filter".

Could you post a link which depicts and describes your filter?

TR

zen 02-09-2007 12:40 AM

Brand is 'Atman', power liquid filter, F-201, completely submersible motor. Hope that's sufficient. Thanks a lot.

jones57742 02-09-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zen
Brand is 'Atman', power liquid filter, F-201, completely submersible motor. Hope that's sufficient. Thanks a lot.

The only information which I could find for "something like" your filter is
http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com....rget=d470.html
and this insufficient for my understanding of the filter's functioning.

A portion of your posts indicate that you are concerned about appropriate oxygenation of the water.

As I have set forth in another recent post:
Very, very limited induction of oxygen is due to "air bubbles".
Oxygen is transferred from atmospheric gas at the open water surface in your tank.
Turbulence of the water surface increases the rate of this transfer and thereby increases the oxygen saturation of the water.

Due to the lack of information I have not been able to answer your questions but hopefully the above paragraph will be of some help.

TR

zen 02-09-2007 04:41 PM

Thanks a lot. I'll simply keep the air bubbles on at night when I'm not actually in the room, and check the condition of the water for a while until I know it's safe. Just to be sure, what do I need to look at besides the pH to check whether or not I need to keep the air bubbles on for longer.

jones57742 02-09-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zen
Thanks a lot. I'll simply keep the air bubbles on at night when I'm not actually in the room, and check the condition of the water for a while until I know it's safe. Just to be sure, what do I need to look at besides the pH to check whether or not I need to keep the air bubbles on for longer.

Zen:

This one came "out of the blue".

In order to be of some help I would appreciate your explanation of why you believe oxygenation and Ph are related.

TR

musho3210 02-09-2007 06:56 PM

Co2 will change your ph but a simple air stone bubbler will not effect the ph. you can leave it on 24/7