Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Red cherry shrimp behaviour question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/red-cherry-shrimp-behaviour-question-316938/)

KeshiaB 12-12-2013 01:41 AM

Red cherry shrimp behaviour question

I'm new to keeping Red Cherry Shrimp, I have had 6 in an 8 gallon tank with my male Betta for a week now, so far everyone is getting along fine (some chasing and a few nips here and there but I've actually seen the shrimp chase my Betta too!).

Anyway, can anyone tell what is normal behaviour for Red Cherry Shrimp? They have been quite active and eating well, my tank is now sparkling clean from the little algae I did have. Sometime I notice one or two will start swimming laps around the tank, and swim up to the surface a few times, is this a sign of anything good or bad?

All my water parameters are normal and the tank is planted, not densely but it's getting there.

ao 12-12-2013 02:05 AM

when a female moults, the males will want to breed and they fly around the tanm seeking out the moulted female :)
As long as your tank is cycled and nitrates are low (less than 20ppm) the shrimps should be pretty happy. They are one of the hardier shrimps afterall ^_^

Sent from Petguide.com App

KeshiaB 12-12-2013 03:11 PM

This actually appears to be a single female swimming around a lot. She has a yellow band around her middle which I've read is a sign of eggs? However, I was under the impression that the shrimp I purchased were not long passed juvenile...

ao 12-12-2013 03:32 PM

the females have a "saddle" which is her ovaries in which are store unfertilized eggs. when a male comes along and fertilizes the eggs the eggs are transferred from her saddle to between her swimmerets. When that happens you get a berried shrimp ^__^

Is the shrimp still scavenging or does she seem clearly agitated and hopping from place to place? how are the other shrimps acting?

KeshiaB 12-12-2013 03:59 PM

She seems to hop from place to place, in the morning the others aren't that active but in the evenings when I get home they all become active and eat well. I tend to feed them in the evening. It's morning now and she's still swimming all over, almost like she's looking for something.
Posted via Mobile Device

GeeGee 02-12-2014 11:33 AM

I have shrimp also, two, a male and a female that came with bonus eggs already on her belly :) . Only had them a few days. My question is, they were busy running round the tank. Then I bought a tiny heater of 7.5w for my 4g and this morning they are pretty inactive, moving around less crazily. Saw both eating this
morning so maybe they are just feeding. Would the temp change over the last 2 days from 72 to 77-78 be
bothering them a bit?

GeeGee 02-13-2014 11:54 AM

molt

It appears my own question has been answered. My inactive female shrimp just molted! That's why she was hiding a lot. Also appears the eggs she was carrying are gone, so they must have hatched during the same time... somewhere...