Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   UV Sterilizer Ok In Planted Tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/uv-sterilizer-ok-planted-tank-31632/)

tsweers89 11-03-2009 09:06 AM

UV Sterilizer Ok In Planted Tank?

Well the title says it all. I have heard some say it is bad beacuse it kills off the good bateria/ferts that you use for the plant and some say its ok. So whats your input here?

I have a deal that i can get this 40w STERILIZER: 40 Watt Gamma UV Sterilizer by Current USA* - AquaCave for $60 so i am just making sure its ok before i buy. I have heard great things about UV sterilizers and at this price i figured why not. Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Byron 11-03-2009 12:24 PM

I would not waste my money on UV. The question is, what is it for? In a balanced planted aquarium you never need it. I have read that it will clear green water, but beyond that in the plant forums no one recommends it that I've seen. And green water is the result of unbalance so fixing that solves the problem, if it does arise and it shouldn't.

There are better things to spend money on, like fish and plants.:-)

Byron.

tsweers89 11-03-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 268129)
I would not waste my money on UV. The question is, what is it for? In a balanced planted aquarium you never need it. I have read that it will clear green water, but beyond that in the plant forums no one recommends it that I've seen. And green water is the result of unbalance so fixing that solves the problem, if it does arise and it shouldn't.

There are better things to spend money on, like fish and plants.:-)

Byron.

I figured for $60 why not just have it just in case. and its a inline one so it would not be seen. It make the water clearer and would kill any algae or parasits i had in the tank. I could then test diffrent lighting or go even stronger lighting without having to worry about an algae break out.

Byron 11-03-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsweers89 (Post 268182)
I figured for $60 why not just have it just in case. and its a inline one so it would not be seen. It make the water clearer and would kill any algae or parasits i had in the tank. I could then test diffrent lighting or go even stronger lighting without having to worry about an algae break out.

Going from memory here, but I'm sure I read in a couple of threads in this forum that a UV will not kill algae. Only clears green water. And I would be doubtful about parasites. But I am not an expert in disease so I'll leave that for others to comment. But I did do a search online just now, and found info that it will kill waterborne pathogens and algae that causes green water. These do not include regular algae.

B.

MoneyMitch 11-03-2009 04:02 PM

from what i understand about uv sterilizers is they kill anything biological that comes into contact with it. i actually have one hooked up to the water system in my house, it stopped working about a year ago or so and i was tinkering around with it when the light came into contact with my eyes. i couldnt see for about three days and went to the hospital and they said it was b/c of that light. if i had been exposed to it for just a couple of miniutes i could have been blinded. so i would assume if anything that was alive went past this light for a few mins it would die off for sure.

tsweers89 11-03-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 268235)
from what i understand about uv sterilizers is they kill anything biological that comes into contact with it. i actually have one hooked up to the water system in my house, it stopped working about a year ago or so and i was tinkering around with it when the light came into contact with my eyes. i couldnt see for about three days and went to the hospital and they said it was b/c of that light. if i had been exposed to it for just a couple of miniutes i could have been blinded. so i would assume if anything that was alive went past this light for a few mins it would die off for sure.

Thats what i had though. So any ick or diseases and algae that was in the water it would stop before it could get worse. Im just seeing everyone opinion and like i said at $60 i figure it couldnt hurt and i could always sell it back for that no problem since they are $200 new.

Byron 11-03-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsweers89 (Post 268239)
Thats what i had though. So any ick or diseases and algae that was in the water it would stop before it could get worse. Im just seeing everyone opinion and like i said at $60 i figure it couldnt hurt and i could always sell it back for that no problem since they are $200 new.

No, I wasn't clear I guess. The UV Sterilizer will only kill the algae that causes green water. To the best of my knowledge, it will not affect other algae or parasites.

I readily admit my uncertainty over this, but this is what I recall reading. Hopefully another member who has experience in this will jump in.

B.

Mikaila31 11-03-2009 07:03 PM

I agree with Byron that it is a waste of money. Algae, disease, ect. is a sign of a problem. The UV isn't really going to fix the problem its only going to mask it. If I had the choice to use one, I wouldn't bother. I would like to deal with and fix the problem at its source. A UV also kills off any good or harmless microbes, which are naturally plentiful in a planted aquarium. I don't know what you plan to keep, but my canister in my planted tank sucks up a lot of life. Mainly cherry shrimp and fish fry, most live in the canister w/o any problems. When ever I clean the filter I transfer them back into the tank.

eileen 11-03-2009 09:01 PM

I have a Submariner uv sterilizer/clarifier in my 55 gal. tank. it is a 5W. I like it as I have not had any fish diseases in that tank. I had some new fish that had their fins nipped and I thought that they might get infected and I added them to my 55 gal from a smaller tank and they are all better now with some stress coat added to the water. My water is cystal clear but I still get algae on the front and sides of the glass. My Bushy nosed plecos take care of that. I bought mine from drsfostersmith.com
for $74.99 this goes inside the tank. Mine also makes a current that I like in the tank and I have all low light plants and pool filter sand in my tank and the plants are all fine. I do not think it is a waste of money because I can say all my fish in that tank are healthy. I really like mine.

rsheets 11-04-2009 10:25 AM

The UV filter will kill just about anything. I had one for a good while on my last 55 gal. It only kills stuff that goes through the UV light so your plants will not die from it. As far as other stuff that is not alive, I don't see it doing anything with that.