Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   I need some idea! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/i-need-some-idea-31615/)

x2fast4everyone 11-02-2009 09:50 PM

I need some idea!

2 Attachment(s)
I need some ideas for plants in the corner of my tank. There is 1 large gap on the left side. I was thinking maybe a reddish colored plant maybe? Preferably southamerican but it doesnt have to be. also doesnt have to be red just an idea.on the right side its a little bit bare, but hopefully my val and whatever the other plant is back there will fill that out.THANKS

And also after the first picture there are these things growing on the tip of my java moss. can someone explain to me what they are?

aunt kymmie 11-02-2009 09:58 PM

The *things* growing on your java fern are the little plantlets that they produce. It's the plant's way of propagating itself. Once they get large enough I pull mine off and reattach them somewhere else in the tank. Red plants usually to best in a higher tech tank due to their lighting and CO2 requirements. I've also got sand substrate as you do and have had good luck with red ludwiga. What type of lighting do you have and do you follow any type of fert regime?

PS. What's the red glob sitting on the sand at the front of the tank? Is it bloodworms or something else?? J/C

x2fast4everyone 11-02-2009 10:01 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA, i was gonna add sorry for the bloodworms i just fed my fish, but i was too lazy. hahahah. i accidently gave them too much. but the weirdest thing is my male gbr does not eat bloodworms he eats flake and algae disks but not bloodworms, the female loves them though

I have two 15 watt flourescent bulbs. a co2 system and weekly add seachem flourish and rena plant food tab thingys.

x2fast4everyone 11-02-2009 10:03 PM

That could be a possibility. awesome another java fern! THANKS for the reply.

aunt kymmie 11-02-2009 10:08 PM

You're welcome! Do you have a DIY Co2 system?
So strange your GBR doesn't go after the bloodworms. I thought every fish (otos excluded) goes nuts for bloodworms.

x2fast4everyone 11-02-2009 10:12 PM

No, its a hagen co2 system. It doesnt shut off at night so I preset a time right before my lights go off my airstone which is right under the co2 wall so all co2 is shot out of the water quickly.

Yeah its crazy, and hes really slow to find food. I almost think somethings wrong with him but when he finds a flake on the ground he eats it?

aunt kymmie 11-02-2009 10:15 PM

I've got zero experience with co2, other than Flourish Excel, which I use. Plenty of people here do and I'm sure they'll be chiming in soon. I'd say as long as the GBR is eating not to worry. Flakes are a better balanced food anyways.

Byron 11-03-2009 12:18 PM

Nice setup, well done. The plants will grow out. Good work.
Byron.

x2fast4everyone 11-03-2009 04:36 PM

thank you very much, and your tanks are amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.