Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Red eye Tetra and pleco behavior (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/red-eye-tetra-pleco-behavior-31601/)

tiny 11-02-2009 05:08 PM

Red eye Tetra and pleco behavior

So this is a two part question. First I have two red eye tetras, both swim in the same exact place not far from each other near the bottom of the tank. Is this normal behavior for red eyes? Second question is I have a common pleco, so its waste comes out in very long strands like up to two feet long and he just swims around with it still attached to itself. Is this normal? I thought it might be a fiber problem so i got bog wood for the tank. Any advice will help, thanks.

teddyzaper 11-02-2009 06:36 PM

as long as the tetras are moving its fine, if they arent the add more water flow. how big is ur pleco, tank and whats ur water perameters?

tiny 11-03-2009 12:46 AM

The Pleco is about 6" long. It is well feed with wafers, veggies, and bog wood. The water is between 78-80 degrees. Ammonia is 0 ppm, nitrite is 0 ppm, nitrate is 30 ppm, ph is 7.6. The Tank is a 48 gallon tank.

1077 11-03-2009 02:18 AM

Tetras are a schooling fish that would do much better with a group of eight to twelve assuming the tank has cycled. I might were it me,, Consider asking a local fish store if they would accept the pleco you have if it is the common variety. These fish can and do grow upwards of eighteen inches or longer and as you have witnessed,, are serious waste producers.
I would look for a variety of pleco such as the bristlenose pleco that are much better suited for your tank and don't produce near the waste. The long strands of waste trailing from the pleco are normal. The larger the fish gets,, the more waste is produced. The bristlenose pleco rarely reaches six inches and is also a decent algae eater where the common pleco,, loses interest in algae as they grow larger and realize that fish food is much easier to come by than sucking on the glass for algae.

Byron 11-03-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 268003)
Tetras are a schooling fish that would do much better with a group of eight to twelve assuming the tank has cycled. I might were it me,, Consider asking a local fish store if they would accept the pleco you have if it is the common variety. These fish can and do grow upwards of eighteen inches or longer and as you have witnessed,, are serious waste producers.
I would look for a variety of pleco such as the bristlenose pleco that are much better suited for your tank and don't produce near the waste. The long strands of waste trailing from the pleco are normal. The larger the fish gets,, the more waste is produced. The bristlenose pleco rarely reaches six inches and is also a decent algae eater where the common pleco,, loses interest in algae as they grow larger and realize that fish food is much easier to come by than sucking on the glass for algae.

I agree. Byron.

tiny 11-03-2009 02:24 PM

Thanks for the advice, for the pleco the waste is not really an issue, and the size and age really should never become an issue for this tank. Seeing how this is a tank at my house while in college, only going to have the tank for about two years...then will have to adopt the fish out. Just wanted to make sure there were no health issues. Thanks