Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   question about filtration (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-about-filtration-31578/)

molliefan09 11-02-2009 08:41 AM

question about filtration

i have a 20 gal tropical community tank that is FULLY stocked (according to a website posted by another member here) i have a tetra whisper made for a 20 gall.....should i get a second one to help with filtration? my water params are the same as alwys (they are under my aquariums, i keep a log there)

edit: or....i found this filter http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...tid=3610&....i dont know,.,,......what would you guys recommend??

bearwithfish 11-02-2009 10:27 AM

i dont feel you could ever have to much filtration... personally i use a HOB rated for a little more than teh size tank i have it on and a submersible at the same time... i make my submersible myself so they are really cheep and i can make it how i want it.... if i can not find a HOB filter rated for a bit more than my tank i just run two on it...

MoneyMitch 11-02-2009 03:01 PM

if your going to put that kinda money out for a hob get a bio wheel one, the more filtration the better.

molliefan09 11-02-2009 08:41 PM

i googled the bio wheel and i REALLY like it....should i get one for a 30?? or bigger?

molliefan09 11-02-2009 08:44 PM

i was looking at the penguin 150 or 200

JouteiMike 11-02-2009 09:00 PM

I would recommend getting another filter, and even a 3rd if you can afford it. You never know when one may fail, or if you need a to set up a hospital/quarantine tank.

For power filters I would recommend the AquaClear 50, or the Emperor 280 (over the penguin). But also, I would suggest getting simple sponge filters/powerhead combos as well.

It's really your choice. Which filters interest you the most?

molliefan09 11-02-2009 09:12 PM

honestly.....i dont know.....im so lost with all the diff. filters not seeing the bio wheel filters i really like the look of those.....i mean i am willing to spend the money on it, i was jus going to get another tetra whisper 20i and run them both but if i have the option of not only upgrading the filtration but the filter itself i would love to....is there a site or something that i can actually SEE the diffrent types of filters with pics and descriptions...as i said in another thread....im not usually the type that needs the "see spot run" and all the hand holding but im really new at this and just dont get it for some reason...

JouteiMike 11-02-2009 09:24 PM

Molliefan, getting another Whisper20i would be a great choice as well - those are very reputable filters, and work great. In my opinion, if one filter works well for you, and you are used to it, I would definitely suggest to get another one of the same if you are getting a second filter. That way you can use the same technique and are familiar with the functionality of the filter and doing maintenance on it.

If you get an Emperor, or Penguin, or even an AquaClear, you are going to have to become familiar with a new piece of equipment, and they all require a different way of maintaining it, and utilizing different media. This may bring about some negative aspects, unless you are willing to learn and want to be exposed to new types of filtration.

Down the road you may want to try something new, like a bio-wheel, or a Sponge filter. And you may end up getting a bigger tank, which may put you on the path to a canister filter. You have to make the decision too if you want to try something new, or if you'd rather stay in your comfort zone.

All of the filters mentioned here in this thread by other members are the best of the best. You cannot go wrong with any of them.

molliefan09 11-02-2009 09:31 PM

thank you!! i am semi-familiar with the aquaclear as i have one for my 5 gallon betta set up......in order to NOT stress myself out, for the time being i will just purchase a 2nd whipser and do some more research and plan on upgrading the filter once i have done my research....again, thank you for your help and believe me....if i have ANY more questions, which i will....i wll be back!!

JouteiMike 11-02-2009 09:40 PM

You're welcome, like I said the Whisper20i is a great filter for a tank like yours, you can't go wrong.

Oh and please don't hesitate to ask more questions - those are what keep this forum alive!