Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Tips Stocking for 8 Gallon Fresh water Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tips-stocking-8-gallon-fresh-water-31472/)

milindsaraswala 10-31-2009 02:23 AM

Tips Stocking for 8 Gallon Fresh water Tank

Hello guys,

With all your help and patient after 21 days my 10 gallon tank is now fully fish less cycled. My water testing is 0 ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and 10 ppm nitrate but my ph is only 6 ppm. Is there any problem for it.

Next thing I was looking for stoking my aquarium. I was looking for colorful fish maximum I want to put but I don't need to put only type of fish I want to put different type of fish.

Please help me on that

bettababy 11-01-2009 06:26 PM

For such a small tank your fish options are going to be very limited, but most especially with a 6.0 pH. Is that the reading from the tap water?

You may find you need to bring up the pH to keep the fish you desire. I'll wait to find out if the 6.0 is your tap water reading before I suggest any species for you.

Also, what kind of filter are you running on this tank? There are some easy ways to raise your pH if need be, but I won't know what to suggest without knowing the type of filter.

milindsaraswala 11-02-2009 01:37 AM

Actually my tap pH is okay it is near 7.0 and my filter is internal filter

bettababy 11-02-2009 03:02 PM

Is there a heater in the tank?

If your tank is reading pH of 6.0 and the tap is reading 7.0 we will need to figure out why the big difference in the tank. A change of 1.0 is drastic for a fish and can mean the difference between life and death if that changes rapidly. We will also want to track your tank to make sure it isn't going to drop further than 6.0

Stable pH is very important before the fish go in. Do you have driftwood in the tank? Is there carbon in your filter? What other media are you using in the filter? When did you do the last water change in the tank, and how much water?

milindsaraswala 11-02-2009 11:38 PM

I didn't do any water change as mentioned I was doing fishless cycling and just over and still researching fish for my tank. I think due cycling pH was gone down. I have airstone and internal filter nothing more than that. Yea I forgot to mention that I have stone as gravel in that.

Byron 11-03-2009 01:34 PM

I would surmise that the pH drop was natural, and probably indicative of tap water that is soft rather than hard. Do you know the KH and GH or your tap water? Fish stores will usually test it for you (if you do, ask them for the number, not just "it's OK") or your local water supply people might tell you, they usually test the water.

The degree of carbonate hardness (KH) acts as a buffer to maintain a stable pH, depending upon the carbonate hardness present in the water. My tap water is zero GH and KH and after being set up a new tank will over 3-4 months slowly drop in pH; I use dolomite in the filter to keep the pH stable and hardness at 1-2 dGH. Dawn or I can go into this further once we know your hardness numbers.

Byron.

bettababy 11-03-2009 04:30 PM

If the drop in pH is due to cycling, then it should come back up during the course of some water changes. It would be a good idea to work on resolving that before adding fish. Once fish are in the tank water changes will be needed, and with a higher pH in the tap water, this is going to fluctuate the tank water until it stabilizes. That was my concern and what I wished to point out. If the tank is completely cycled, small 5 - 10% water changes every few days between now and the time the fish go in would be a good idea to adjust and stabilize the pH before the fish have to survive the changes. I would not touch the gravel or filter media, just removing water from the surface.

Also, please keep in mind that for the bacteria culture to continue to survive and reproduce, they can't be without food for long. If you performed fishless cycling you were adding ammonia to feed that bacteria. Fish waste will supplement in place of the ammonia now that cycling is done, but don't wait too long before adding something for food for the bacteria. If the bacteria culture begins to die back, the tank will experience a mini cycle when fish are added, until the bacteria growth picks up and begins to reproduce again to accommodate the new waste levels. Some fish can handle that just fine, others may not.

Good luck to you!