Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   You guys had me afraid of sand - easy! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/you-guys-had-me-afraid-sand-314570/)

steelersx 12-07-2013 01:27 PM

You guys had me afraid of sand - easy!
 
I was a little nervous going with sand in my 180 gallon aquarium I am setting up. I heard horror stories about how long it takes to rinse.
I said screw it and bought 180 lbs from the Petco web site. I got it for $14 a bag and it only cost $5.99 to ship all 180 lbs :omg:

This stuff is awesome - heavy enough not to float and it only took about 5 minutes to clean a 20 pound bag. water turns crystal clear in minutes.

Dark black color and almost no loss of weight from rinsing. So worth the price.
Highly recommended.

Cheers.

Flint 12-07-2013 01:31 PM

Petco sand is actually a very fine gravel if you bought the store brand.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

steelersx 12-07-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 3550834)
Petco sand is actually a very fine gravel if you bought the store brand.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Agreed but isn't all sand a very fine gravel?

Ogre44 12-07-2013 02:09 PM

The petco stuff is a little sharper than playsand, it's more like pool filter or blasting sand.
It does have the advantage of being available in black, and it's easier to clean as it's intended for aquarium use.
It has the disadvantage of costing $14 a bag (the 20 pounder I'm guessing) as opposed to less than $5 per 50 pound bag for playsand.
I'll also wager that it'll have a lot less free silicates associated with it as well.

steelersx 12-07-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogre44 (Post 3551082)
The petco stuff is a little sharper than playsand, it's more like pool filter or blasting sand.
It does have the advantage of being available in black, and it's easier to clean as it's intended for aquarium use.
It has the disadvantage of costing $14 a bag (the 20 pounder I'm guessing) as opposed to less than $5 per 50 pound bag for playsand.
I'll also wager that it'll have a lot less free silicates associated with it as well.

Almost no dust whatsoever. so easy to clean.
I thought $14 a bag was a good price to get the sand in black. Considering what I paid for the whole set-up, the $126 for 180 lbs was a drop in the bucket.

Flint 12-07-2013 02:36 PM

My last bag of black was a bit dusty but overall not bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stoke88 12-07-2013 04:15 PM

I used black blasting sand in my shrimp tank and that ran $8.99 per 50lb bag at TSC. It only took a few minutes to wash the entire bag. It doesn't compact like the play sand in my 75g which is nice.

Ogre44 12-07-2013 04:19 PM

$126 for a 6 foot tank's worth of black sand with minimal cleanup doesn't sound too bad to me at all.
I almost bought that stuff for my 65, but I thought it was too coarse for the cories I wanted to keep so I went for the playsand and spent close to 6 hours washing the 2 bags I bought.
In hindsight spending the $42 for 3 bags of the black with minimal washing effort would probably been worth it :-D

steelersx 12-07-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogre44 (Post 3551482)
$126 for a 6 foot tank's worth of black sand with minimal cleanup doesn't sound too bad to me at all.
I almost bought that stuff for my 65, but I thought it was too coarse for the cories I wanted to keep so I went for the playsand and spent close to 6 hours washing the 2 bags I bought.
In hindsight spending the $42 for 3 bags of the black with minimal washing effort would probably been worth it :-D

I want to get some clown loaches. Do you think the sand is too coarse?

Flint 12-07-2013 05:49 PM

I would say no, just keep an eye on them. (:
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2