Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   I would like to stop using Carbon. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/i-would-like-stop-using-carbon-31437/)

Kelso 10-30-2009 12:08 PM

I would like to stop using Carbon.

I know they're are definite advocates for this, and I would like to know how to do it. I got a Top Fin 40 for my 25 gallon. I really don't like carbon in general, it's a pain to get ready and you have to keep buying it. In other words, I know carbon isn't necessary, so I don't wanna use it. Any and help/instruction on how to get started would be greatly appreciated!

Tyyrlym 10-31-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npjpkac
Top Fin

Well there's problem #1

:-P

I kid, Top Fin does a decent job with decorations and the like but I, personally, wouldn't trust them with any of the 'life support' equipment in my tank. That's neither here nor there though. If I recall the cartridges can't you just open it up and dump the carbon out? If not you can always cut a hole in the bottom and dump it out. If you want you can then stitch the bottom back closed with fishing line or just leave it open.

Kelso 10-31-2009 08:11 AM

Oh, I know I know...I do plan on getting a better filter here sometime soon, when funds are adequate. It does what I need it to, suck out the particulate and aerate my tank. Is it seriously that simple...you just keep the carbon out...so if I wanted to go text book, you guys only use mechanical and biological filtration? Plus I have plenty of plants to help out in the chemical part.

JouteiMike 10-31-2009 08:56 AM

Biological is the most important form of filtration, and then mechanical for obvious reason. I personally only use carbon to remove medication, which is very seldom.

Tyyrlym 10-31-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npjpkac (Post 266566)
Oh, I know I know...I do plan on getting a better filter here sometime soon, when funds are adequate. It does what I need it to, suck out the particulate and aerate my tank. Is it seriously that simple...you just keep the carbon out...so if I wanted to go text book, you guys only use mechanical and biological filtration? Plus I have plenty of plants to help out in the chemical part.

Well if you want a better one a Penguin 100 or 150 would be perfect for that tank.

Anyways it is just that simple. You don't want to use carbon, don't put it in. There's nothing to balance, nothing new to add. Just don't put it in and you're good to go. If you've got plants I'd recommend not using it anyways. Any ferts you add will just get sucked up by the carbon.

Kelso 10-31-2009 03:02 PM

I actually dont use any fertilizers, and my plants grow very well with carbon, maybe they could be growing better, but I get frequent new shoots...well next water change, IM GOING CARBONLESS! Thanks guys ;)

rsheets 11-01-2009 12:41 PM

I thought carbon was good???? Of course, I took about 8 yr break from it. Then when I come back I see all kinds of wonderful stuff for aquariums!!

Tyyrlym 11-04-2009 06:39 AM

Carbon is useful in the right situation. Most of the time though it's simply not worth cost and can even be slightly harmful by removing compounds you'd rather keep in the tank. I keep some around to use if needed by most of the time I just have biological and mechanical filtration.

1077 11-04-2009 07:10 AM

I used to be one of the biggest proponents of the use of carbon for I liked the crisp clear water that using it provided. But Less money spent on carbon,, the more money left for fish.
If my source water however contained more than minimal metal deposits, then I would opt for the use of carbon along with a water conditioner such as those offered today that also deal with metals that may be found in some water.
Back in the day, these conditioners did not provide nearly what some do nowdays.