Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Bovolion Ram troubles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/bovolion-ram-troubles-31400/)

6998 10-29-2009 03:59 PM

Bovolion Ram troubles

I have 3 bovolion rams in a ten gallon tank. I think that i have 1 male 2 females they are all about
1- 1 1/2 inches and all of them when they get near each other 'kiss' each other and one swims off.

Questions:
DO females have territorys?
How can i tell they sex

P.S. I need all the info i can get on breeding them.

I love these fish!:-)

molliefan09 10-29-2009 04:01 PM

have you checked out the breeding section on here?? it usually has some pretty good information...i do not know about breeding but if you cant find what you need inthe breeding section someone will be along to help answer your questions

molliefan09 10-29-2009 04:05 PM

check out this link i found Bolivian Ram, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus

Byron 10-29-2009 07:32 PM

Sexing the Bolivian Ram [Mikrogeophagus altispinosus] when young is not easy. As the fish mature, the male develops extended filaments on his caudal fin.

A ten gallon is not sufficient room for three of these fish; one on its own would be fine. Do you have a larger tank or plan on getting one? I believe Aunt kymmie and/or Twistersmom have 3 or so of these fish, and I have one in my 115g. When I acquired him last October I couldn't tell the sex, now it clearly is a male. They are territorial with their own, unless you have a mated pair. If you are lucky enough to have acquired one male and two females, you're better off than two or three males. But they still need more space. At least a 3-foot tank for three if they are males.

The article linked in molliefan09's post is quite good. Here's another good article on this beautiful fish: The Cichlid Room Companion - Keeping and Breeding the Bolivian Ram, Microgeophagus altispinosa (Haseman, 1911)

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=31

Byron.

Pasfur 10-29-2009 07:36 PM

Byron, your link is broken.

Byron 10-29-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 265931)
Byron, your link is broken.

Thanks, I edited another in; odd, the old one did work just now... oh well, the new shorter one works too. :-) B.

6998 10-29-2009 08:27 PM

I know they are in a ten gallon tank but they are small for now and i have a tweinty gallon tank just need to do some swapping to get them in it.

aunt kymmie 10-29-2009 11:22 PM

I have three Bolivians (good memory Byron!) and my tank is a 100gl. It's a good thing, too, as mine all turned out to be males. The five feet they have offers a good amount of space for the three different territories they have set up. That *kissing* isn't affectionate, they are bickering, as you already know.
I agree with Bryon, a 10gl is only adequate room for one ram, not two, much less three. :-(
Your plan is one ram for the 10, two rams for the 20? My rams were tiny, tiny juveniles and had zero color when I purchased them. Are yours that tiny? I hope you end up with at least one female!

6998 10-30-2009 06:31 PM

If there sex ratio was 1male 2 females could they all live in the tweinty gallon tank happily

Byron 10-31-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6998 (Post 266385)
If there sex ratio was 1male 2 females could they all live in the tweinty gallon tank happily

Let's just say that I would not put three in a 20g. And as I've mentioned, sexing immature fish is next to impossible with this species--unless you dissect it of course:roll:. I would go with one Bolivian in anything under a 3-foot tank. This fish does very well on its own. It is believed that in its habitat in SA it lives in solitude except when breeding. And it usually has no issues with tankmates that are not cichlids.

Byron.